Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Separate Unit for Home Office

I have a separate unit on my home property that I use for business.  Do I use the entire sq footage as both the total size and percent of the space used, or do I add the size of the separate office into our home square footage and then use the separate unit as the percentage of office space?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Separate Unit for Home Office

If you have a shed or something that you are using for your home office, you can list it as a separate asset.  

You can add the space to your home space and use it as a portion of your entire square footage of "structures" on your home.  This will allow you to allocate things like the electric and insurance based on size of your home (if you choose that method) If you have separate utilities, separate insurance and everything else for the structure, than you can just choose to have it as its own standalone structure.  Both ways would be considered reasonable methods to use.

Home Office

When you walk through the beginning questions about your home office, you will come to a screen that says "Do any of these apply to your home office"  Put a check mark in the box that says this home office is a separate structure. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies