Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self-employed family leave credit eligibility

Hello,

I'm wondering if I'm eligible for the the self-employed family leave credit. I stayed home with my toddler from April-August 2020 because his daycare closed and my work dried up. I had self-employment (1099) income in 2019, but none in 2020. Just happened to not get that type of work last year, but I did have W2 income from multiple employers in 2020 as well as unemployment income. It says you can use your 2019 self-employment income to calculate the self-employed family leave credit if it's higher than your 2020 income (which was zero). I'm just not sure if having none of that type of income in 2020 makes me ineligible. 

Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Possibly.  This is done by completing Form 7202.  The IRS article will give you all the particulars on qualifying:  self-employed family leave credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the response. I guess my question boils down to, can you still be considered self employed in a year where you have no self-employed income, and have W2 income? I had 1099 income in 2018 and 2019, and odds are I will have it again in 2021.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you truly have a business and income all the years before and after, it proves that you did have an established and were not able to operate in 2020 due to COVID and therefore qualify. 

Form 7202 Instructions:

You must maintain appropriate documentation to show that you are an eligible self-employed individual. Regularly carried on a trade or business. An individual regularly carries on a trade or business for purposes of being an eligible self-employed person if he or she carries on a trade or business within the meaning of section 1402

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies