turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RoRasc
Returning Member

second home tax deduction

I got married last year.  I own a home and my husband and I own a second home together.  My home has a mortgage and I was able to enter the mortgage information (taxes, interest, etc) into Turbo Tax Premier (desktop version).  However, the home my husband and I own together does not have a mortgage.  Where can I enter the taxes we paid on this home in TurboTax Premier desktop version?  Is it possible to itemize the taxes on this home as well?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You can enter the property tax on the second home---but do remember that you are subject to the cap of $10,000 for the deduction---no more than that even on the combination of the two homes.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
RoRasc
Returning Member

Do you know Where in Turbo Tax Premier I would enter it?  I cant figure out where to put it into the program.  Thanks for your help.

Go to Federal> Deductions and Credits> Your Home to enter mortgage interest, property taxes, and loan origination fees (“points”) that you paid in 2023.  

In other words----the same section that you used for the first home.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
RoRasc
Returning Member

When I go back to the section indicated, its greyed out.  When I click on property taxes, it does not allow me to adjust it.  When i first entered the tax amount, it asked for the lender, but my 2nd home is paid off.  How would I enter it?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

On the Deductions & Credits screen, under Your Home, click the Start or Update button for Property Taxes. It's the second topic under Your Home.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies