Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caryneudahls
Returning Member

Roth IRA Conversion Classified as Excess Contribution Even After e-Filing Amended Return Using Intuit Rep Guidance

I used TurboTax Premier 2023 to file my taxes because I had just retired and had done a standard to Roth IRA conversion.

The guidance TurboTax provided, following the 'easy" instructions, was miserable!

There was another person's question on this site that was essentially the same as mine: why did the Premier product not provide clear directions for filing with a Roth IRA conversion, such that the conversion was classified as an excess contribution by TurboTax, and so the IRS?

After being notified by the IRS of my return being errant, I contacted Intuit and followed the instructions provided by the representative to file an amended return to correct this.

After not hearing from the IRS for the allotted period of time, I called them and was told the amended return changed nothing, so that's why I didn't hear back from them.

Thank you, Intuit, and thank you IRS!

So here it is almost October and it's been recommended that I get a tax attorney to fix this.

SUCH SHOULD NOT BE!

Has TurboTax 2023 been updated so upon filing my now necessary amended amended return,  the standard to Roth conversion is going to be recognized by the IRS?

Equally important, are the "easy" instructions for tax year 2024 being fixed so this can't happen to me or others making another conversion in the 2024 tax year?
I am really, really perturbed right now.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Roth IRA Conversion Classified as Excess Contribution Even After e-Filing Amended Return Using Intuit Rep Guidance

Please check back later. I will page @dmertz.

Sounds like you entered the ROTH conversion also as a new contribution?  You only enter the 1099R for the conversion.   It was not a new contribution.  You should have skipped that part.  

caryneudahls
Returning Member

That is indeed what happened with the initial filing because the instructions were NOT clear, even though I went through every subsection in TurboTax I could find on the subject, as well asto this community center, where an answer was not yet available,

But why wasn't the conversion acknowledged, following the Intuit guidance I was provided for filing the amended return?  How do I make sure I don't wait the mandatory couple of months before contacting the IRS and finding out nothing has again changed from their perspective when I file the amended amended return?

This is a reminder that it's always best to provide clear guidance upfront, given the grief that comes with "easy" instructions that are not sufficiently detailed to provide the necessary goiudance to do it right the first time.

The ROTH IRA conversion should only be on the original return on 1040 line 4b.  Was it there?  You don't have to amend that part.  On the Amended return you only need to take out the separate IRA Contribution from the Deductions section.  

This is a common question we've answered a lot.  Did you post a prior question for it?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies