Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Returns and Allowances" on Schedule C

I started selling online recently and I issued customers full refunds for items they sent back or that were damaged. I understand those would defeinitely be included in Line 2 for Returns and Allowances on Schedule C.

I wanted to confirm if the following transactions would also be categorized as Returns and Allowances on my Schedule C form or not:

1. Partial refunds for shipping overages alone.
  2. Cancelled Orders that I never sent out but that still have a refund transaction from the online selling site I have to account for.

If they aren't caregorized as Returns and Allowances, how would I categorize them correctly? Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

All money returned that was reported in the total GROSS  income amount on the Sch C go in the returns/allowance line. If the K-1 form you get includes the money that you eventually refunded then use the K-1 amount as gross and employ the refund/allowance category. 

If you did NOT add it into income  then you have nothing to deduct against ... so it really depends on your bookkeeping system and how you are accounting for the income and refunds.   

View solution in original post

2 Replies

All money returned that was reported in the total GROSS  income amount on the Sch C go in the returns/allowance line. If the K-1 form you get includes the money that you eventually refunded then use the K-1 amount as gross and employ the refund/allowance category. 

If you did NOT add it into income  then you have nothing to deduct against ... so it really depends on your bookkeeping system and how you are accounting for the income and refunds.   

Understood, thanks for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies