turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retirement deduction

My W2 has the retirement plan box checked in Box 13.  There is no code in Box 14, nor the amount that was contributed.  On my paycheck, the retirement plan is a pre-tax contribution.  My income is low and I am wondering if I am eligible for the retirement deduction credit.  As I go through Turbo Tax, there is a section to input the amount contributed, but it says after tax contributions.  Do I put the amount that I contributed pre-tax there to get the credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Retirement deduction

You cannot claim the retirement contributions credit for pre-tax contributions. The credit is for after-tax contributions, which were included in your reported income. Pre-tax contributions are already excluded from your income. You can't subtract them again by claiming the credit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Retirement deduction

You cannot claim the retirement contributions credit for pre-tax contributions. The credit is for after-tax contributions, which were included in your reported income. Pre-tax contributions are already excluded from your income. You can't subtract them again by claiming the credit.

Retirement deduction

Thank you for the clarification!  This is what I was thinking but could not find a definitive answer until now.

Retirement deduction

Only the amounts contributed that show in box 12 are eligible for the Retirment Savings Contribution Credit (RSCC). 

Amounts that are supposed to show in box 14 are usually 414h plan contributions, and those are not eligible for the RSCC.

BUT...check with your employer

....is it a 414h plan?

(deleted stuff about IRAs...I'm just not sure)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies