DD72

Retired dependents

Hi,

For 2020 taxes, I claimed my retired parents as dependents who only receive social security. Does that affect them from receiving their own stimulus checks or other food programs?

JaniceS_CPA_CFP
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Retired dependents

The first two stimulus checks were for individuals and their dependents under 17. The third stimulus check for $1,400 was for individuals and all dependents, regardless of age. Assuming they met the income limits. So, if you claimed them in 2019 they may not have received the first two checks, but they should receive the $1,400 sent in 2021. 

DD72

Retired dependents

Sorry, I am asking in regards to any future assistance. Would claiming my parents as dependents cause them to not receive benefits for things such future stimulus checks or food programs such as CalFresh.