Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddimock
Returning Member

repayment of premium tax credit

i was getting health insurance through the marketplace last year through september, so i got a premium tax credit each month because i had only part time income.  on 9/13/21 i started a full time job.  i immediately stopped my health insurance through the marketplace and went with my employer-provided insurance.  but now that i'm filing my taxes and had full time income for the last quarter of the year, my taxes are showing i owe money due to the increase in income as compared to what i reported when i first applied for insurance through the marketplace.  in other words, i estimated my income to be under about $18k for the year as i was anticipating just working part time.  but when i accepted full time employment and my total annual income increased considerably, my taxes are now showing that i was overpaid for the premium tax credit when i really wasn't.  the amounts i received in credit were only for the 9 months i was on the marketplace and my income as i estimated through september was under $18k.  my tax return is looking at my annual income which isn't at all fair since when i applied and was using insurance through the marketplace, i was only making part time money and the ptc helped with the monthly premiums.  once i had full time income, i no longer used the ptc but my tax return is looking at both things as annual when in fact they should be prorated somehow.  i have tried filling out form 8962 but i can't figure out where i should put my income from jan-sep and then sep-dec since that is basically what needs to happen.  i should not be penalized for taking a full time job as when i first got the ptc, this was not the case.  help please...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sorry but the credit is based on the total ANNUAL income even if it was earned unevenly  but the ADVANCE was based on what you estimated your annual income would be so if the total income at the end of the year is a lot higher than you anticipated (even thou you did the right thing by stopping the ACA insurance) you will still need to repay some or all of the credit you got in advance.  Sadly getting a good paying job was a double edged sword.  

ddimock
Returning Member

ok that is completely messed up.  i didn't know when i signed up and was using the marketplace that i would get a full time job before year end.  my income up to that point, along with the tax credits up to that point, should be used in the calculation.  is there any way to appeal to the irs since this is absolutely ludicrous!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies