Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Repayment of APTC Due to Enrollement in NJ Marketplace Plan and Medicaid Health Plan

In 2021 unknown to me I was enrolled in both a New Jersey marketplace health insurance plan and medicaid. I believe this called enrolled in other qualified heath insurance. This apparently occurred during the transition from Healthcare.gov to the NJ Marketplan (GetcoveredNJ.gov)  even though I had estimated my income above the medicaid income limit.  I did return a form to medicaid July 2021 to terminate the insurance in when I was notified by the NJ Marketplace ,  but medicaid was still not terminated. 

NJ retroactively removed subsidy and I have to pay the  full premium to the insurance company for Oct, Nov, and Dec 2021 and is shown on the 1095-a  Will I have to repay additional subsidy to the IRS ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Repayment of APTC Due to Enrollement in NJ Marketplace Plan and Medicaid Health Plan

Most likely.  When you enter the 1095-A into your tax return the system will add any amount that you have to repay on to your tax bill.  So you'll find out pretty quick.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So the amount would be determined by the 1095-a entries into TT  and my income. Does the IRS use any other factors to determine the amount owned or  penalties ?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS also considers your Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) when calculating your Premium Tax Credit (PTC) 

MAGI is adjusted gross income (AGI) plus these if any: untaxed foreign income, non-taxable Social Security benefits, and tax-exempt interest. For many people, MAGI is identical or very close to adjusted gross income. MAGI doesn't include Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies