Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ggribble
Returning Member

Renting an oxygen concentrator

My wife is on oxygen at home right now.  We are going on a cruise and will be renting an oxygen concentrator for use at night in the room.  Also will be renting a portable concentrator for the flight to Europe.  Are these rentals a deductible for medical expenses.  Also we will be renting a scooter.  is this deductible? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes if a doctor says there is a need for these medical devices ... getting a written order for your records in case of an audit would be wise. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@ggribble , even though this is beyond the question(s) posed , please check with your airline before renting as airlines have their own rules as to which particular brand/ model they will allow -- my wife needed 24 hour oxygen  and I have been through this.  From your statements  it seems  that your wife uses Oxygen only while sleeping or only limited usage ( not 24 hrs) ----  please  consult your doctor to make sure  that  the equipment allowed and rented is one that can support the travel conditions  and duration  -- charging facilities on the planes are often non-existent and seat facility in cattle class  is even more limited.    Wish you luck with this .

pk

ggribble
Returning Member

Thanks for the input.  I have been working with the cruise line and the concentrator for night will be delivered without problems.  The line did require some forms for this.  I am flying Luthansa from the US and AA when we get back to the US.  Luthansa forms were complex and AA easy.  Getting the MD to sign the forms and then submit to the airlines before we go.  Pretty complicated and makes me anxious.  ScooterAround rentals are the rental firms who have good experience with approved rentals.

Thanks again,

Glenn

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies