turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Eric8

Regarding the sale of a foreign residence, where and how do you report the exchange rate gain from the mortgage payoff on my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Regarding the sale of a foreign residence, where and how do you report the exchange rate gain from the mortgage payoff on my tax return?

The foreign exchange rate gain is reported on Schedule 1, line 8 and then Schedule 1, line 9 (which includes all your additional income) is transferred to line 7a of your 1040.

The exchange gain is considered ordinary income and not capital gain income.

When your return is open:

1. Click on Federal taxes at the top of the screen
  2. Click on Wages & Income
  3. Scroll all the way down to Less Common Income
  4. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  5. Click on start
  6. At the bottom of the list, click on Other reportable income
  7. Click Yes for other taxable income
  8. Enter description such as Foreign Exchange Rate Gain and the amount

[Edited 03.22.20 | 2:02 pm]

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

The foreign exchange rate gain is reported on Schedule 1, line 8 and then Schedule 1, line 9 (which includes all your additional income) is transferred to line 7a of your 1040.

The exchange gain is considered ordinary income and not capital gain income.

When your return is open:

1. Click on Federal taxes at the top of the screen
  2. Click on Wages & Income
  3. Scroll all the way down to Less Common Income
  4. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  5. Click on start
  6. At the bottom of the list, click on Other reportable income
  7. Click Yes for other taxable income
  8. Enter description such as Foreign Exchange Rate Gain and the amount

[Edited 03.22.20 | 2:02 pm]

Eric8

Thanks.  If we owned the property for longer than 1 year, would we still enter this as ordinary income?
Eric8

The reason I am asking is that from my understanding since this is an exchange rate gain from a mortgage payoff due to a sale of a foreign residence (not just any foreign exchange rate gain).  What I heard was that if we held the property for more than 1 year (we actually held it for 6 years), we would qualify for lower long term capital gains rates.  Is this correct?  And if so, should I enter this gain in the Capital Gains section of my return.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately it is not correct.  It is considered ordinary income and is taxed at ordinary income tax rates.  
Please see more information on this and an example of how it is calculated on the following website.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ustaxfs.com/foreign-mortgage-repayment-exchange-rate-gain/">https://www.ustaxfs.com/fore...>
Eric8

Thanks KarenJ.  Appreciate the help on this.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies