Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recovery Rebate Credit

Why did Turbo Tax calculate a Recovery Rebate Credit for me when my AGI does not meet the requirement?  I printed the RRC worksheet and cannot figure it out.  Additionally, Turbo Tax lumped the Recovery Rebate Credit with my tax refund so how do  I make that distinction on my 2021 taxes as federal tax refunds are taxable but the stimulus is not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Recovery Rebate Credit

First, be sure that you enter what you have received so far in the Recovery Rebate Credit section, including 0 if it was not applicable to your situation.

The link above shows how the stimulus payment will be reduced for Adjusted Gross Income above the initial limit:

There are also AGI limits to receive the full amount of the credit. Your adjusted gross income (AGI) must be below,

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for heads of household
  • $150,000 for married, joint filers

For filers with income above those amounts, the credit amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$112,500/$150,000 thresholds. This means:

• An individual without children will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $87,000
  • A couple without children will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $174,000
  • A family of four will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $198,000

Secondly, only state tax refunds are taxable if you itemized in the prior year, not federal tax refunds. You will not be taxed on any stimulus payments.

If you need to adjust your entries, to return to the stimulus payment area in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount should be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Recovery Rebate Credit

First, be sure that you enter what you have received so far in the Recovery Rebate Credit section, including 0 if it was not applicable to your situation.

The link above shows how the stimulus payment will be reduced for Adjusted Gross Income above the initial limit:

There are also AGI limits to receive the full amount of the credit. Your adjusted gross income (AGI) must be below,

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for heads of household
  • $150,000 for married, joint filers

For filers with income above those amounts, the credit amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$112,500/$150,000 thresholds. This means:

• An individual without children will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $87,000
  • A couple without children will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $174,000
  • A family of four will not receive any credit if their AGI exceeds $198,000

Secondly, only state tax refunds are taxable if you itemized in the prior year, not federal tax refunds. You will not be taxed on any stimulus payments.

If you need to adjust your entries, to return to the stimulus payment area in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount should be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

Recovery Rebate Credit

Thank you for clarifying the Recovery Rebate Credit question.  It was very helpful!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies