Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

No3Jacks
Returning Member

Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet Line 16

I've been using TT for 7 or 8 years without a problem until this year and it has to do with Line# 16 on the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet.  Married filing jointly.  We received the full amount of both stimulus payments ($2400 & $1200).  Line# 16 asks for the amount receive in EPI 1 which should be $2400 yet TT entered the amount for EPI 2 $1200.  As a result the worksheet calculated a $958 credit and added on the 1040-SR Line #30.  We were not due the credit since we received the full amount for both payments.  My question is where did the $1200  that was entered on Line# 16 come from?  All questions regarding the stimulus payments were answered correctly yet the program seems to have pick up the wrong stimulus payment amount to enter on Line# 16, $1200 vs the correct amount which should have been $2400.  Is it something I did or is/was the program picking up the wrong stimulus payment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

To find out why the software used $1200 on line 16, you can check to see how to see the how TurboTax calculated the Recovery Rebate credit.

TO VIEW THE RECOVERY REBATE CREDIT:

Click   Tax Home

Click   Review   if necessary to get Tax Tools on the left side-bar

Click   Tax Tools   on the left side-bar (you may need to use the scroll bar for the left side-bar to see this)

Click   Tools   on the drop-down list

Click    View Tax Summary   on the Tools Center screen

When you do this,   Preview my 1040   appears on the left side-bar           

Click   Preview my 1040   on the left side-bar

Scroll down and look at line 30 on the 1040 for your “Recovery rebate credit”

No3Jacks
Returning Member

Renee, thanks.  I'll try to be brief.  I had previously gone through the same steps with a TT expert , without resolution.  I repeated the steps you suggested and low and behold, my 1040SR had been changed. Line 30 on the 1040SR is now blank (previously $958), and now there is no Rebate Recovery Worksheet in my summary documents. My total tax due went from $108 to $1066 an increase of $958, which is the sum the IRS is trying to recover.  My feeling is that I filed so early, 01/20/21 that a subsequent change was made to the worksheet to correctly populate line# 16 ($1200 vs the correct amount which should have been $2400).  I don't know whether the change was made as a result of my conversation with the agent or whether it was changed after I filed.  I guess it doesn't matter as I was never entitled to the credit in the first place.  Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies