Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recovery Rebate Credit calculation for mixed status household

My wife has an ITIN, as she is on a VISA that is not eligible for SSN. I have an SSN. The first stimulus rules were that we won't get any payment unless I served in the military (or some other exceptions) if both people filing jointly did not have SSNs. So, we did not get any (correctly). The second stimulus rules were different and we got a payment of 1800 for me and two US citizen children. All of this is correct, but Turbo tax seems to think I should have received a first stimulus and tries to give me a credit when I enter 0 as the first stimulus payment. It does not seem to have the rule put in to calculate the first stimulus eligibility differently if filing jointly and the spouse has an ITIN.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The actual law says that you are eligible. The IRS has published the final form 1040 instructions which include eligibility for any taxpayer with a Social Security number.  Some of the IRS’s decisions in the heat of the moment last spring did not actually conform to the law as written, but the tax return does.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The actual law says that you are eligible. The IRS has published the final form 1040 instructions which include eligibility for any taxpayer with a Social Security number.  Some of the IRS’s decisions in the heat of the moment last spring did not actually conform to the law as written, but the tax return does.

Thank you. I did more reading and it does seem to be the case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies