turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mfprowley

Will the tax I pay on my reinvested cap gains now be considered in my basis when I finally start selling when I retire?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Will the tax I pay on my reinvested cap gains now be considered in my basis when I finally start selling when I retire?

Yes, any reinvested dividends or capital gains should be added to your cost basis when you sell.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

To be a bit more specific, the taxes you pay on reinvested dividends or capital gains are NOT added to your cost basis when you sell - just the reinvested dividends or capital gains.

mfprowley

My question really was will I somehow be taxed on my cap gains twice. I spoke to another expert who said that my cap gains will up adjust my basis So that I am not taxed on it twice.  Does that make sense?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You will not be taxed on your capital gains twice. You will be taxed in the year that the capital gains are received. That amount of the capital gains is added to the basis of your investment and when that is sold you will be taxed only on the gain, not the basis.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies