Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why wasn't my HSA contribution deducted when filing my tax return?

Turbotax asked if I contributed to an HSA, but not the amount. Why is that amount not deducted from my tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If your HSA contribution is reported in Box 12 of your Form W-2 coded W, you don't need to enter any amount.  The amount of your HSA contributions have already been deducted from Box 1 (Wages) on your W-2, so you’re already getting the deduction when you enter your W-2.

But if you made a contribution that isn't reflected on your W-2, you'll need to enter it yourself.

Please see the TurboTax Help article Where do I enter my HSA contribution? for guidance.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If your HSA contribution is reported in Box 12 of your Form W-2 coded W, you don't need to enter any amount.  The amount of your HSA contributions have already been deducted from Box 1 (Wages) on your W-2, so you’re already getting the deduction when you enter your W-2.

But if you made a contribution that isn't reflected on your W-2, you'll need to enter it yourself.

Please see the TurboTax Help article Where do I enter my HSA contribution? for guidance.

Thanks for response. My HSA is not through my work, so not on my W-2. I was waiting for a section to ask this amount but it never happened. Sounds like I need to amend my return and add this amount somewhere.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for response. My HSA is not through my work, so not on my W-2. I was waiting for a section to ask this amount but it never happened. Sounds like I need to amend my return and add this amount somewhere.

Thanks for your help

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

To enter your Form 8889, 

Please see this answer from BMcCalpin:

Form 8889 reports on your HSA (Health Savings Account) contributions and distributions. It is generated automatically by TurboTax based on answers in the HSA interview and on your W-2, and attached to your 1040 tax return.

If you have a code of W in box 12 on your W-2, then you have an HSA and must add form 8889 to your return.

Even if you do not, but have a 1099-SA, then you should do this by going to Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->HSA, MSA Contributions, and completing the interview. Be sure to go to the very end, to where you are returned to "Your Tax Breaks".

Line 2: HSA contributions you made for 2020 (or those made on your behalf), including those made from January 1, 2021, through April 15, 2021, that were for 2020. Do not include employer contributions, contributions through a cafeteria plan, or rollovers. You will be asked your contribution amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies