turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When my 8889-T form becomes available on 01/23/2020, will it affect what is currently showing for my estimated federal and/or state refunds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

When my 8889-T form becomes available on 01/23/2020, will it affect what is currently showing for my estimated federal and/or state refunds?

It may.  I believe you are asking about a 1099-SA that you will receive in order  to complete the Form 8889 and am responding to the question accordingly,

You need to file 8889 to:

• Report health savings account (HSA) contributions (including those made on your behalf and employer contributions).
  • Figure your HSA deduction.
  • Report distributions from HSAs.
  • Figure amounts you must include in income and additional tax you may owe if you fail to be an eligible individual.

I would hold hold off on filing your return until you get your 1099-SA.  Waiting could potentially save you a considerable amount of time filing an amended return.    

Form 8889 is expected to be available in TurboTax on 1/23/20.  To verify if the form is available follow this link:  Form Availability  

Should you have additional questions in regards to your question, please respond to this thread.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

2019 TurboTax appears to be doing all of the correct calculations on Form 8889 and no changes are anticipated, so what you are presently seeing on this Form 8889 should remain unchanged when the form is finalized.  Finalizing the form with the IRS seems to be just a formality that remains to be completed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies