Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MG26
Level 3

Want to review wording of question about whether I paid a contractor over $600

I can't find where there were two questions about whether I paid over $600 to a contractor and whether I needed to send a 1099. I answered no to both questions because I verified that they were a corporation (which was paid over $600). I wanted to review the wording on the first question to see if I answered correctly and don't want an IRS flag or something. The question may have been referring to any entity and not just an individual.  Where can I have a look at the question again? Maybe it was in a QBI section.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

If you are filing as a business, it was likely in your Schedule C, Business Expenses Section, regarding if you paid any contractors with a Form 1099.

You will enter payments for Contractor Labor in the Business Expenses section. You do not need to enter them individually.  You will just enter a description along with the total the amount paid. You can also list each separately with a description in that area

How to get to that area  While inside the software and working on your return, type Schedule C in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  

There will be a popup that says Jump to Schedule C.  Select that to get to the general area.  

• select to Edit the business
  • scroll to Business Expenses
  • then, Other Common Business Expenses

In TurboTax Download version, follow these steps:

1. Choose the Business tab
  2. Then select Start/Update next to Profit or Loss from Business
  3. Select Edit next to the name of your business
  4. Go to the Business Expenses section to choose the appropriate category for your expense

in TurboTax Online.

1. Type Schedule C in the Search box
  2. Select the Jump to link
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? ? and answer the questions until you get the First, select the expenses you know you had screen
  4. Select your expenses, then Continue
    • If you've already worked in this section, select Edit or Review next to your business
      1. Then select Start or Edit or Add expenses for this work
      2. Select Start next to an expense type that you had
      3. Enter your expense description and amount, and answer any other questions we ask
      4. If you had more than one expense for a type, select Add another row to include them all

Click here for 1099-Misc, Independent Contractors, and Self Employed.

Click here for Self-Employed expenses you can deduct. 

Click here for Reporting Self-Employment Business Income and Deductions.

If this does not help please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community and provide additional information regarding your question.  You can also click here for information on Turbo Tax Support. You can connect with a Live TurboTax Agent and share your screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

If you are filing as a business, it was likely in your Schedule C, Business Expenses Section, regarding if you paid any contractors with a Form 1099.

You will enter payments for Contractor Labor in the Business Expenses section. You do not need to enter them individually.  You will just enter a description along with the total the amount paid. You can also list each separately with a description in that area

How to get to that area  While inside the software and working on your return, type Schedule C in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  

There will be a popup that says Jump to Schedule C.  Select that to get to the general area.  

• select to Edit the business
  • scroll to Business Expenses
  • then, Other Common Business Expenses

In TurboTax Download version, follow these steps:

1. Choose the Business tab
  2. Then select Start/Update next to Profit or Loss from Business
  3. Select Edit next to the name of your business
  4. Go to the Business Expenses section to choose the appropriate category for your expense

in TurboTax Online.

1. Type Schedule C in the Search box
  2. Select the Jump to link
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? ? and answer the questions until you get the First, select the expenses you know you had screen
  4. Select your expenses, then Continue
    • If you've already worked in this section, select Edit or Review next to your business
      1. Then select Start or Edit or Add expenses for this work
      2. Select Start next to an expense type that you had
      3. Enter your expense description and amount, and answer any other questions we ask
      4. If you had more than one expense for a type, select Add another row to include them all

Click here for 1099-Misc, Independent Contractors, and Self Employed.

Click here for Self-Employed expenses you can deduct. 

Click here for Reporting Self-Employment Business Income and Deductions.

If this does not help please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community and provide additional information regarding your question.  You can also click here for information on Turbo Tax Support. You can connect with a Live TurboTax Agent and share your screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Those questions would be under Business Profile not expenses.  I'm not sure how to get there in the Online version.  But go to Schedule C  and look for business profile or details.

MG26
Level 3

I found the wording in schedule C so that's where I saw it. I guess it wasn't referring to schedule E which is where my question really was about the repair work payments. I guess it doesn't ask that question for schedule E  and doesn't allow for breakdown of different services.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies