Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dstrausb1

vehicle registration fees

On my "Deductions and Credits" page, my vehicle registration fees show up for 2019 but not for 2020. Have I done something wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

It could happen because you didn't enter it properly. It is always a good idea to double check your entries before filing. It also could happen if your standard deduction is bigger than your itemized deduction, then the software uses the bigger ones, and since your vehicle registration fees is a part of itemized deduction, it doesn't appear on your Deduction and Credit page. 

dstrausb1

Thank you for your reply.

Last year I took the standard deduction and the amount for vehicle registration fees shows up on to the Deductions and Credits screen. But the 2020 field shows $0.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

You can enter the vehicle registration fees by following the instructions below.

Follow these directions:

1. With your return open, search for car registration inside your program.
  2. Select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you pay any car registration fees in 2020? and then enter them on the next screen.

Annual car registration fees may be deductible on your federal income taxes, but only under certain circumstances.

• The portion of the registration fee that is charged based on the vehicle's value - as opposed to its size, age or other characteristics - can generally be claimed as a deduction.
  • If part of your registration is indeed deductible, you must itemize your deductions to claim it, rather than using the standard deduction.

See Below for more information:

ARE YOUR CAR REGISTRATION FEES DEDUCTIBLE?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a zero in the vehicle registration space in the final deduction area.  I have double checked and the number is correct in the form.  It shows up in 2019 but not 2020.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Are you saying that you can't enter the correct amount into TurboTax?   Are you using the Online or desktop software?   Is there a $0 in the field you are tyring to enter it into or did you enter the correct number but it is not showing up on the summary screen?    @stormcop

I am using the PC disc version rather than on-line. I have not checked to see if the standard dedudtions are greater than the itemized deductions yet, but I expect that the standard will be higher.  Thanks

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You should still be able to enter the car registration fees, but if you see a $0 in the field and TurboTax won't let you edit the amount, there is a way to fix that see below.   You can enter all of your itemized deductions and if they do end up totaling more than your standard deduction, TurboTax will use the itemized total.   And if the standard deduction is higher, nothing is lost but a few keystrokes.   When you click on edit next to the car registration fees entry spot and see a $0 that you can't edit, there are 2 things you can do: 

• Double click in the field and use the Red X (Remove) to remove the supporting details worksheet.  or
  • Go to the top Edit menu (Windows versions only) and choose Add Supporting Details.   Then click on the Red X (Remove) at the top.  

For an explanation about the supporting details $0 workaround, please see this discussion.     @stormcop

I am seeing the same thing @stormcop is seeing.
For 2019 and 2020 I took the standard deduction.
I am able to enter the registration fees for both years.   But the deduction of 2020 is 0.   And for 2019 it was the amount I had paid.
Did the tax laws change?  Is there a defect in Turbo Tax?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

With TurboTax Desktop, go into forms mode and change the amount of auto registrations on Schedule A. 

• In the upper right of the screen select "Forms".   
  • Scroll down the forms on the right hand side and select "Schedule A". 
  • Scroll down to the "State and Local Personal property taxes" select then select the link to the "Tax and Interest Worksheet". 
  • There on line 3, enter the amount of your auto registrations.

I agree..It seems like a bug.  I've entered registration fees, but they're showing as $0 in the side-by-side 2019 2020 deductions and credits summary page. 

Take a look at these two screen shots taken for the same returns.  The first shows 0 and the second shows 265.  I would like (obviously) 265 to be taken as the correct deduction.  What is really happening?

Vehicle Registration 0.jpgVehicle Registration 265.jpg

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

it appears you are getting the deduction. To really make sure though, you would need to check your Schedule A  and see if the amount is included in Box 5C. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies