Solved: Re: Turbotax is saying "We see [spouse] had a brea... - Page 3

Turbotax is saying "We see [spouse] had a break in HDHP health plan coverage during 2017" which is not correct. Where can I correct this information?

The question in prior years (2016 and before) was even less clear, and this fix lacks clarity as well.

Your concerns are noted.

Back here again for 2019 taxes.   Any chance this will be fixed next year?

The question on the page before you see that you had a “lapse” in coverage is causing the issue.

On the previous page you should see the question, “What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [spouse] have on December 1, 2019?”.  The choices are FamilySelf only, or None

If you have been covered under your husband’s family plan, you might think you should answer Family to the question.  However, the answer should be None. It is referring to what type of plan you held in your name on December 1, 2019.  If you had your own separate HDHP on that date, then choose the type of plan that you had.  If instead you were covered under the plan in your husband’s name, then you should choose None.

To go back to the section of your return to answer the questions again, use the following steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax  screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “hsa” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to hsa
  • Click on the blue “Jump to hsa” link and edit your information

Or in TurboTax Online,

Under the Deductions & Credits menu, confirm the following:

• Expand the menu for Medical
  • Click Start/Revisit next to HSA, MSA Contributions

This answer has been posted at least 3 times in this forum, including the very first answer, so re-posting it contributes nothing to the discussion. 

The real problem is why Intuit refuses to update the help or the dialog to make it easier to understand.

Not only has it been posted repeatedly, but the answer seems to be incorrect. I was covered by a HDHP, under my own name, chose "Family" and still TT thinks there was a break in coverage. Issues like this, which require slogging through the internet for hours every year to solve, is why I have a love/hate relationship (currently in the hate phase) with TT.

Holy confusion, Batman! I even remembered that there was something wacky about this question that was counter intuitive and still made this mistake and had to look up the answer here. All it would take is a bit of explanation on the page along with the main question to make this so much easier. Which, isn't that the whole point of using TurboTax instead of just filling out the form yourself?