Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rajsesh

Turbotax Home Loan Deduction calculation error?

Home Loan Deduction issue

I refinanced in Apr 2020 from Lender A to Lender B through Lender B0. I entered the 1098 statement from Lender A and Lender B and tax deduction for the mortgage interest paid were calculated correctly. However,
When I add additional lender Lender B0 1098 info and enter mortgage interest paid in the form, the federal tax due is going up. Lender B0 just originated the refinancing loan and transferred the loan to Lender B. Why would tax due go up when i enter mortgage interest paid to additional lender instead of tax due going down as this should have higher tax deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

so glad I found this post. Just want to chime in that I am experiencing this error as well. When prompted "is this loan secured by a property of yours", answering "yes, loan is secured by a property of mine" (making mortgage interest deductible) will ADD to my tax due; while answering "no, my loan isn't secured" (undeductable mortgage interest) will decrease tax due. This does not make sense! Can someone from TurboTax look into this and confirm if this is a bug or not?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It may be better to contact Live Support. Please use this link to  Contact Us to contact live support.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies