turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS asked for proof of health coverage and payments. My boss charged all of my health care costs for 2019 on January 15th. Is this legal?

The IRS asked for proof of health coverage and payments. My boss charged all of my health care costs for 2019 on January 15th. Is this legal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. 

This is beyond the scope of TurboTax Individual Tax Preparation support in this forum. 

I recommend consulting the health plan administrator. It seems to raise questions about compliance with the affordability of health care offering. The self-only health coverage cannot exceed a set percentage of household income without triggering penalties assessed per employee under Section 4980(b) to the employer if the employer is an applicable large employer.

For more information, see IRS Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions Questions and Answers for legal guidance and more.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. 

This is beyond the scope of TurboTax Individual Tax Preparation support in this forum. 

I recommend consulting the health plan administrator. It seems to raise questions about compliance with the affordability of health care offering. The self-only health coverage cannot exceed a set percentage of household income without triggering penalties assessed per employee under Section 4980(b) to the employer if the employer is an applicable large employer.

For more information, see IRS Affordable Care Act Tax Provisions Questions and Answers for legal guidance and more.

Either you were covered by health insurance during the period or you were not. It does not matter when the payment was made for the health insurance. Now if your employer took money for you and did not get you coverage that sounds like something bad. You should be able to get a statement (proof of coverage) from the actual provider (e.g. select health or blue cross).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies