turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lzo
Level 2

Stocks (RSU, Options, Capital gain/loss) question

Hello,

Question - and i apologize as i'm new to this:

This year I had some stock RSUs vest with the company I work for.  For the sake of simplicity, i'm going to just use bogus numbers, but the principle is the same:

50 stocks vest at $500 each - $25,000 total.  The company deducted about 25% of those stocks and sold them to cover taxes at the vest.

Since vesting, those stocks are now worth $35,000

This year, I have also played around (in a separate broker account) with stock options.  I have lost $10,000 this year.

My question - is do the $10,000 in losses offset the gains of $10,000 ($25k to $35k)?  And are the gains taxed at the conclusion of the year based on the stock value, or are they only taxed when i sell the stock?

I know there's a $3000/yr maximum capital gain loss per year (that can roll over).

I'm assuming the stock vest of $25k is just taxed as income, not a 'capital gain', but that the increase from $25k to $35k will be capital gain, BUT only if i sell the stock (as long as i just hold it, there's no tax) right?

Basically - I'm wanting to offset the $10k loss from a tax standpoint, because I don't want to be rolling over the $10k capital loss for the next 4 years at $3k/year.

Would I have to cash out $10k of my stocks to offset the $10k loss with stock options?

Thanks so much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Yeah, your loss is going to be carried forward unless you sell and have recognized gain.

lzo
Level 2

Thanks for the response; 

So if I sell stocks for $10k in profit, that will fully offset the $10k in loss from the stock OPTIONS?

Or are they taxed differently?

TomD8
Level 15

"I'm assuming the stock vest of $25k is just taxed as income, not a 'capital gain', but that the increase from $25k to $35k will be capital gain, BUT only if i sell the stock (as long as i just hold it, there's no tax) right?"

Correct.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies