turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jcroteau2011
Returning Member

Stimulus Check and Dependents

I had 4 dependent children in 2019 that I claimed. I will not have any of these dependents in 2020. First, am I getting their stimulus payment? If so, how do I stop that so it can go to the person who has these children now? Secondly, if I do get this money will I be taxed in 2020 or 2019? Or can I just give the money to the adult who is caring for them if I am not going to be taxed for it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Yes, if the children are qualified children for you.  

The child must be related to you, less than 17 years old in 2019, live with you for more than half of 2019 in the United States and did not file a joint return with a spouse.

If the children do not meet these qualifications you will not receive the Stimulus Payment for the children.

The Stimulus payment will not be taxable to you when you file your 2020 tax return.

If you do receive any Stimulus money you can give it to the person that is caring for the children now.

@jcroteau2011

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jcroteau2011
Returning Member

Thank you. I want to give it to the person with the children now, but if I get taxed I will have trouble paying the taxes, so thank you.

The way the law reads, and the current guidance has not said otherwise, is that you will receive the Stimulus for those qualifying dependents.  Then when that other person files their 2020 tax returns, they will ALSO receive a Stimulus payment for the dependents on their tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies