turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tvirk

Standard deduction default?

I itemized $33,000 in deductions, but the final completed return insists on using the standard deduction of $26,600.  Why?  Can't get it to change.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

You are probably being limited by SALT.  SALT is State And Local Tax.  Which includes property tax, any state tax paid like for last year’s return and includes any state withholding from your W2s and any 1099s you have.  And any taxes in W2 box 14 and 19 like SDI or VDI.  You can only deduct up to 10,000 (5,000 MFS) for SALT State and Local Taxes.

And Deductions for job expenses have been suspended with the new tax act.  See Deductions that have been suspended for 2018

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

FAQ on 2018 changes https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482394-how-will-tax-reform-affect-my-2018-federal-tax-return

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in  itemized deductions, choosing.  It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900142-how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-itemized-or...

tvirk

Thank you, Volvo Girl!

I am claiming less than 6,000 for SALT.  In Turbo's explanation for using the Standard Deduction they indicate I am showing $0 for mortgage interest when, in fact, I entered (and the date field shows) 13,000.  Don't know why it is saying that, but I think that's the rub.  Without it the itemizations are less that $26,000 (my wife and I are seniors).  I tried restarting and then re-entering all data to discover any glitch.  Still no luck.  

I appreciate your time.   I like Volvos, too.

You will need to contact TurboTax support for this situation ….

Go to this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

I believe there is a new question or two you have to answer to get the mortgage interest deduction.  Like maybe put in your ending balance.  Go back through that section.

tvirk

Volvo Girl!  I went back and had forgotten to answer a question that would have legitimized the mortgage interest deduction.  Can't thank you enough!!  Have a good one wherever you are.

tvirk - Athens, GA

Which question was that?  For my notes.  I know I've seen other posts about it but can't find them now.

tvirk

Two questions on the last two data entry pages for that item:  one asking if the loan was secured by the property purchased with the mortgage (my home) and the next asking if the money had been used to build or purchase the home.  I suspect both these are qualifying questions for deductibility.  

I was probably interrupted when originally completing that section and exited early so that the amount showed as entered, but it was readily apparent that it didn't qualify for a deduction.

Thanks again.  Got it e-filed successfully.  I've had good luck with Turbo-Tax for several years now.  Never hit a blip before and this one, as it turns out, was my oversight.  

Thanks

I have a 97 V90

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies