Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Software glitch? Self-employed health insurance premium tax credit smart worksheet has a negative number...

Thank you so much.  Unchecking that box is what finally worked for me after trying multiple tasks found in this thread.  This is definitely something turbo tax needs to fix.

Software glitch? Self-employed health insurance premium tax credit smart worksheet has a negative number...

I'm also getting a "-2" on line 16 "Self-employed health insurance deduction" for both Fed and State that I can't change.

Changing the start/stop months didn't affect it.

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

The first step I suggest you do is "unlink" your 1095-A from Schedule C, and then link it again. To do that, uncheck the box shown on the screenshot below. 

If that doesn't work, there is a workaround available for TurboTax Desktop version for this. Follow these steps:

1) Go to Forms Mode

2) Find 1040/1040SR Wks

3) Scroll down to the section with the negative number on line 16. 

4) Just above it you will see a box for Self-Employed Health Insurance Premiums Tax Credit Smart Worksheet. 

5) Remove amount from box B. 

For TurboTax Online, you have two options:

1) File an extension and wait for the fix. 

2) Do not claim the health insurance adjustment to income for self-employed. You can do that by unchecking the box for the question in the 1095-A interview about whether you were self-employed. See the screenshot. You can file an amendment after the fix comes through (TBD).

Here are instructions on how to amend your tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sr222
Returning Member

The answer to this is easy: don't include cents when entering amounts. Only include DOLLARS and round up/down. Do not include CENTS even though cents appear on the 1095. 

It truly was as simple as that. 

So day of angst and frustration that could have been avoided if Turbo Tax has simply pointed out that you should SIMPLY ROUND UP/DOWN TO THE NEAREST DOLLAR AMOUNT AND NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.

So simple. 

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. 

sr222
Returning Member

i'm too late to tell you that you just round up on down and enter whole dollars instead of dollars and cents. Thanks!

sr222
Returning Member

um....no. I meant what I said. I CAN change the number, but it won't save the number that I enter. 

There. We're BOTH right. 

sr222
Returning Member

the solution was to round up/down. Include dollars only. Not cents. It was an easy solution. Hours of frustration. Good times. 

sr222
Returning Member

I contacted TT 4 times. FOUR. the 5th person FINALLY walked thru it with me step by step and we figured out that if I rounded up/down to the nearest dollar instead of entering cents like it was presented on the 1095 form, THAT solved the problem. 

It took many hours and FIVE DIFFERENT TT PEOPLE to figure out something this simple. Jeez. 

Just thankful for that last person. Good grief. 

sr222
Returning Member

i'm a little late to tell you that you were correct: round up or down to whole dollars and that's the solution. hope you figured it out. thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies