Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self employed Medicare Deduction if disabled

I understand that someone on social security who is self employed can deduct their Medicare B premiums.

Is the same true if someone is on social security dissability and is self employed? Will IRS distiquish them as different?

Thank you in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

It's not really different.  They both come on a SSA-1099 Form.  Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Schedule 1 line 17 (which goes to 1040 line 10), as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Schedule 1 and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A. It will not reduce any SE Tax on a net profit. It just reduces your AGI. 

How to enter in the Desktop Home & Business version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-my-health-insurance-premi...

Medicare plan B payments are qualified as Self-employed medical insurance premiums and should be entered under Business instead of in the SSA-1099 Social Security Benefits section.

Thanks much.

Does it matter whether the benefits are recieved as a result of retirement or dissability? I assume IRS views them as teh same as both are on the ssa1099.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

No, it doesn't matter. The self-employed health insurance deduction has nothing to do with the type of Social Security benefits. It's just Medicare Part B premiums that you paid. The fact that you paid the premiums by having them deducted from your Social Security benefits is irrelevant. So the type of benefits doesn't matter.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You get the self-employed health insurance deduction because you are self-employed, not because you get Social Security benefits. You would get the deduction whether or not you got Social Security. The Social Security benefits have nothing to do with the self-employed health insurance deduction. That's why the type of benefits doesn't matter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies