Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sales tax on new home construction in different state

What if the new construction is in a different state?  Our new home was constructed in TN, we live in MD most of 2019.  We itemize, have not hit the $10k in MD.   TN as a 9.75% sales tax and I have over $7k in sales tax for items I paid for outside of the construction contract (over budget) and have receipts showing the taxed amounts.  May I deduct those?  (Can the $10k be 'split', and will entering the sales tax on 1040  affect how TT pull info for my MD tax return).  Certificate of Occupancy for TN home was issued 12/20/19.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, no. There is nothing in 2019 Instructions for Schedule A that addresses sales tax paid in a non-resident state. The Sales Tax worksheet specifically refers to "your state".

Sales Tax

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, no. There is nothing in 2019 Instructions for Schedule A that addresses sales tax paid in a non-resident state. The Sales Tax worksheet specifically refers to "your state".

Sales Tax

Wish we had a 'sobbing' emoticon!  I was afraid that would be the answer.  That new house is bleeding the life out of us - went over the mortg interest limit, builder slower than molasses and VA involvement is enough to want to just give up!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies