Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

QCD vs deduction

I have QCD donations -- is it better (less tax) to list as a contribtuon or as QCD from retirement plan 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

QCD vs deduction

Q. Does a QCD donation reduce my income or treated like a normal charitable contribution (deducted on schedule A)?

A. It reduces your income.

But, you will not see a line item (a QCD amount) on any IRS form for the reduction (deduction). Look at lines 4a and 4b on form 1040. Line 4a will be the total amount of the distribution. Line 4b will be the reduced taxable amount. The notation "QCD" will appear on the dotted line between lines 4a & 4b.  The difference between the two amounts will usually be the amount of the QCD. But, if your distribution also included portions of previous  non-deductible contributions, that amount will also be in the difference. 

View solution in original post

Hal_Al
Level 15

QCD vs deduction

Q. How do I enter these "gifts" as QCDs?

A. In the 1099-R interview. After entering the 1099-R, you will reach a screen, in  the follow up interview, titled "Transfer to Charity".  Check either the box that all of the distribution was transferred to charity or part of it.  If only part, the next screen will ask you to enter the amount. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

QCD vs deduction

QCDs are not deductible as charitable contributions on Schedule A. But, as with deductible contributions, the donor must get a written acknowledgement of their contribution from the charitable organization before filing their return.

QCD vs deduction

yes I have the letters and the QCD form from the bank -

- does a QCD donation reduce my income or treated like a normal contribtion 

dmertz
Level 15

QCD vs deduction

For a distribution that satisfies the requirements to be eligible to be claimed as a QCD, I can't imagine any situation where deducting the contribution on Schedule A would be beneficial compared to claiming the distribution as a QCD, but I can imagine many situations where it would be detrimental to claim it on Schedule A instead of as a QCD.

Hal_Al
Level 15

QCD vs deduction

Q. Does a QCD donation reduce my income or treated like a normal charitable contribution (deducted on schedule A)?

A. It reduces your income.

But, you will not see a line item (a QCD amount) on any IRS form for the reduction (deduction). Look at lines 4a and 4b on form 1040. Line 4a will be the total amount of the distribution. Line 4b will be the reduced taxable amount. The notation "QCD" will appear on the dotted line between lines 4a & 4b.  The difference between the two amounts will usually be the amount of the QCD. But, if your distribution also included portions of previous  non-deductible contributions, that amount will also be in the difference. 

QCD vs deduction

thanks for the detailed reply -- i have no entries in the boxes you listed -- how do i enter these "gifts" as QCDs?

Hal_Al
Level 15

QCD vs deduction

Q. How do I enter these "gifts" as QCDs?

A. In the 1099-R interview. After entering the 1099-R, you will reach a screen, in  the follow up interview, titled "Transfer to Charity".  Check either the box that all of the distribution was transferred to charity or part of it.  If only part, the next screen will ask you to enter the amount. 

QCD vs deduction

that worked -- thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies