turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mandt333

Property Taxes

Am trying to change my Property Tax numbers, but it won't let me change it. When I click on the call to update, it takes me to the "additional property tax" page. I tried forms and it wouldn't let me change it there either. I can't get back to the page to change the number. Any thoughts? Thank you for your help. michaelg 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Property Taxes

Check the following link for SteamTrain's answer; it should resolve your issue.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-i-can-t-edit-real-estate-tax/...

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Property Taxes

If you entered it with your 1098 for mortgage interest you will need to change it the same way 

Here's how to Edit your mortgage interest statement in TurboTax:

Open or continue your return.

Select Federal Taxes and then Deductions & Credits.

Select Your Home and select Mortgage Interest (Form 1098).

On the landing page select Edit or the pencil icon next to the 1098 you need to adjust

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
irene2010john
Returning Member

Property Taxes

I also have this issue. The field for property tax on main home won't allow entry, just has "$0" which cannot be cleared either.

Property Taxes

@irene2010john The link to @SteamTrain's post to resolve this issue can be found in the first answer above. I will reproduce his answer below.

If it has an actual "zero" next to the $ sign, that means there is a "Supporting Details" sheet attached to that field.

1)  In 2018 you added "Supporting Details" to that entry...probably to describe  when & how paid.

2)  The Supporting Details sheets transferred into your 2019 file (but they get emptied of $$ values during the transfer to the next year).

3)  The Supporting Details are supposed to pop up as soon as you attempt to enter a value during the Interview...but it doesn't.  (desktop Software Bug in my opinion..reported last year too)

4) Workarounds   : 

4a)  double-click in the field and the Supporting details sheet pops up and you can either delete it (hit the big red "X"), and now make an entry...or you can use the SuppDetails worksheet to enter your $$....OR...

4b)   Put your cursor in the box, and then go to the top menu on the screen and click on <Edit....then <<Add Supporting Details from the drop-down menu.  IF the SuppDet box shows up you can either add your entry in there...or hit the Red "X" to delete the whole SuppDet worksheet and then make your normal entry.....or...

4c)  One can also enter the proper $$ in the actual Worksheet in "Forms Mode"....if you cursor-drag hi-lite the $0, and then hit the "Forms" icon at the top of the screen, the actual worksheet line with the $0 will show up in Forms Mode. ...when attempting to enter any amount on that worksheet line, the SuppDet sheet pops up right away when you try to make an entry.

and the are other places ..like Medical Expenses, "Federal" Estimated Tax payments and (as you noted) Property tax payments...where the same "$0" issue may pop up in the interview.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies