Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Parent's Medical Expenses

Hello.  My elderly parents live in a continuing care community.  I have been helping them pay for private aides helping my Dad and for nursing care expenses for him since he was moved to a memory care unit there 3 months ago. I don't think I can claim my parents as my dependents on my tax return because I haven't paid for >50% of their living expenses in 2021. But I'm wondering if I am able to include and deduct the payments that I make for my Dad's private aides and for the nursing care expenses as my medical expenses on my tax return (if they exceed 7.5% of my income)?  I have made the payments directly to the private aides helping my Dad and to the nursing care facility where he has been for the past 3 months.  I also have a question about gifts--I believe that these payments I am making on behalf of my Dad should not be considered as gifts to my Dad (even if they exceed the gift limit) because I am making these payments directly for the medical services provided (to the private aides and nursing care facility). Thanks!    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies
conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Medical expenses are deductible for Qualifying Relative when you have provided over half of the support.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502

The general rule is that any gift is a taxable gift. However, there are many exceptions to this rule. Generally, the following gifts are not taxable gifts.

1. Gifts that are not more than the annual exclusion for the calendar year.
  2. Tuition or medical expenses you pay for someone (the educational and medical exclusions).
  3. Gifts to your spouse.
  4. Gifts to a political organization for its use.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/frequently-asked-questions-on-gift-tax...

I hope you find this helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the response!  Just following up, my Dad is a Qualifying Relative, right?  So to include the medical expenses that I have paid for him, I would have to be providing over 50% support to him. How is that support calculated? Do I take those payments I make relative to the total living expenses of just him or the total living expenses of him and my Mom (they do file a joint tax return)? Their expenses were pretty commingled until he moved to the nursing care unit 3 months ago. What's included in living expenses--rent, food, utilities, insurance, all medical expenses (including what I have paid for?), etc.--basically everything they spend on? Is the 50% threshold during the 2021 calendar year cause I would say I have provided assistance >50% of their living expenses for the past 3-4 months (when the private aides and nursing care unit expenses went very high), but probably not >50% for all of 2021. If the current situation continues in 2022 with me paying for my Dad's nursing care expenses, I would definitely be paying >50% of his and their combined living expenses because nursing care expense is so high compared to their other living expenses. So I would then be able to deduct my Dad's nursing care expenses that I pay on my joint tax return? Thanks.      

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, your parent is a qualifying relative

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502#en_US_2020_publink1000178873 (item c.)

for whom you provided over half of the support in 2020.  You would need to look at your fathers support, and allocate their living expenses between both parents.

When determining the monetary value of the amount of support you provide, you need to consider several factors:

• Calculate lodging
  • Consider the cost of food that you provide.
  • Remember to include utilities, medical bills and general living expenses that you also pay.
  • Compare the value of support you provide with any income, including Social Security, that your parent receives to determine whether you meet the support requirements.

Also, here is a great resource to claiming your parent as a Dependent, if meets the requirements.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/steps-to-claiming-an-elderly-parent-as-a-dependent/L34je...

Sorry....1 more question.....is the 50% support threshold comparing my support provided relative to my support provided plus all my parent's income or is it comparing my support provided relative to all their living expenses?  Thanks agin.

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

When calculating the amount of total support, you should compare your contributions with the entire
amount of support your parent received from all sources (such as taxable income, tax-exempt income,
and loans).

Here is a worksheet that would help guide you.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

I hope you find this helpful!

Thanks! Are there Instructions for this Worksheet? I’m trying to figure out what to include on Line 2? What does “the amount on Line 1 that was used for the person’s support” mean?  Does that mean the amount of money that I spent to support the person? Or something different?

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Lines 1 - 5 are the funds belonging to the person you supported.  Line 1 is  total funds belonging to the person you supported, and Line 2 is the amount from Line 1 that your parent used to support himself.  Sometimes a parent can have income, but place some in savings and not use for support.  That would make his support be less.  You compare only the amount of funds he used for his support, to the funds you used for his support.

Should Line 2 plus the amount of my support to the person equal Line 19? Does “support” mean living expenses covered by Lines 6-10 and 14-18 or does support include other items? Thanks. 

conniem123
Employee Tax Expert

Lines 6 - 10 and Lines 14 - 18 are guidelines to help you determine your parent expenses.  Line 10 and Line 18 are the "other" because each persons' expenses are going to look different.

You then compare how much your parent spent on his expenses to how much you spent on his expenses, and determine if you provided more than half of your parent's support during the tax year.

Hello,

I'm just now trying to complete the worksheet you sent me..... Do lines 1-5 have to be just for my Dad or can I view my Dad's & Mom's funds and expenses together? It will be very hard to separate expenses like rent, groceries, restaurants, shopping, charitable contributions, etc. between them (other than just split them in half).  The support I provided them in paying the private aides was really beneficial to both of them, not just for my Dad, because having the aides in their apartment enabled my Mom to do activities like food shopping, cleaning, etc.  If I combine their funds and expenses, and compare my support provided to "both of them" with their support provided by themselves, and if its >50%, then I can include the support I provided them on my medical expenses that I deduct.  Isn't taking that approach okay, or do I have to "artificially" try to split their expenses and funds?  Thanks. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

The expenses you paid for home aides for your parents could be calculated in the amount of support you provided for them to determine Dependency. 

You may be able to deduct these caregiving costs for your parents as medical expenses, if you itemize your deductions and certain other requirements are met.  These services don't necessarily need be performed by a nurse, as long as the services are of a kind generally performed by a nurse.

If this applies to you and you claim your parents as your dependents, you can combine the amounts paid for both of them. 

Click this link for more info on Claiming an Elderly Parent as a Dependent

Here's more detail on Deductible Medical Expenses.

Thanks for the response.  My specific question was in regards to the criteria for the >50% support threshold to be able to include the expenses on my return and the specific worksheet that someone there had sent me a month ago.  

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Click this link for the IRS Support Worksheet.

If applicable as stated in my previous response, you could claim the caregiving expenses as Medical Expenses on your return.

Otherwise, they could fall into the category of 'Other Expenses' on the Support Worksheet. 

This link gives more info on What is Financial Support.  

@robriegel18 wrote:

Thanks for the response.  My specific question was in regards to the criteria for the >50% support threshold to be able to include the expenses on my return and the specific worksheet that someone there had sent me a month ago.  

You can analyze the support three ways, treating your parents as a couple, and treating your mom separately and your dad separately, and see whose expenses you can deduct, if any.  When treating them separately, you can assign half of any joint expenses to each spouse.  Also assign to each spouse their particular financial resources (social security, pension, etc.)

For reasons described below, I don't think you will be able to deduct much of what you spent on your mother; paying for her aides certainly counts as support you provided, but it probably doesn't count as a medical expense.  Nevertheless, you can analyze them together and separately and see which way the math works.

However, let's take a step back and talk about what expenses are actually allowable medical expense deductions.  There are 3 rules I want to start with. 

1. Expenses for assisted living are not deductible medical expenses except to the extent that they actually provided nursing care or medical care.  Nursing care does not have to be provided by a nurse, but it must be of the type and kind of services usually performed by a nurse, such as assistance with medication, eating, dressing, toileting, and so on.  Other expenses for room and board, housekeeping services, and companionship are not deductible medical expenses.  The facility will usually provide you a breakdown. 

2. Expenses for a nursing home are deductible if the main reason the person is in the nursing home is to obtain medical care.  You don't have to separate room and board and other services if this is the case. 

3. Long term care expenses, including aides, and including memory care, are generally only deductible medical expenses up to the percentage that represent medical or nursing care.  However, the entire cost can be deductible if you meet 3 tests:

a. The person has a chronic condition that will last at least one year or lead to death.

b. The person requires assistance with 2 or more activities of daily living (ADLs are eating, bathing, dressing, toileting, transferring and managing continence) OR the person has a cognitive impairment so that they are a danger to themselves or others if left alone.

c. The care is provided according to a written care plan established by a medical professional or qualified social worker that is reviewed and updated at least once a year.

(Most people miss step 3, unfortunately.)

So, start by identifying costs you paid for that are actually deductible medical expenses.  It sounds like your dad's costs might qualify but not your mom, or at least, a higher percentage of dad's costs will qualify.  It does not sound like the aides you paid to help your mother will qualify for now.  (You will also want to see to that written care plan for your dad if you don't have one, so you can deduct the whole cost of the memory care next year.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies