Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New twin dependents

We have two children 7 and 4 years. We just received our child dependent care credit of $550 on July 15. We owed around $700 federally last year in taxes.  We just gave birth to twins in June of 2021 and did not claim them yet on the federal IRS website. I am on maternity leave this year so subsequently will have  reduced income. What can i expect as a return if i do not claim the twins. If I do claim all 4 children what will be my monthly child credit payment be. I do not want to owe taxes at the end of the year.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

New twin dependents

Hi DMoos1,

Congrats on the new additions!

If you input the twins on the IRS website you could expect $300 per month for each of them, so $600 per month more. If you don't add them, then that $600 per month times 6 months ($3600 total) would be a credit on your 2021 tax return. Keep in mind that the total CTC amounts have also increased this year. Last year, the two older children would have qualified you for $4000 total credit ($2000 each). This year, they qualify for $3000 for the 7 year old and $3600 for the 4 year old, or $6600 total. Of that $6600 you are getting $550 per month for 6 months in advance, or $3300. The other $3300 is claimed when you file taxes. 

So if you do input the twins your child tax credit would be $1150 per month now and $6900 total when filing ($3300 for the older kids and $3600 for the twins). If you don't input them, your credit will continue to be $550 per month and you would claim $10,500 ($7200 for twins plus $3300 for 7 and 4 year old) when filing. 

Either way you'll have a significantly larger CTC than the $4000 you received last year, and that combined with your decreased income would make me think you're unlikely to owe taxes absent any other major changes to your finances.

I hope this information is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

New twin dependents

Hi DMoos1,

Congrats on the new additions!

If you input the twins on the IRS website you could expect $300 per month for each of them, so $600 per month more. If you don't add them, then that $600 per month times 6 months ($3600 total) would be a credit on your 2021 tax return. Keep in mind that the total CTC amounts have also increased this year. Last year, the two older children would have qualified you for $4000 total credit ($2000 each). This year, they qualify for $3000 for the 7 year old and $3600 for the 4 year old, or $6600 total. Of that $6600 you are getting $550 per month for 6 months in advance, or $3300. The other $3300 is claimed when you file taxes. 

So if you do input the twins your child tax credit would be $1150 per month now and $6900 total when filing ($3300 for the older kids and $3600 for the twins). If you don't input them, your credit will continue to be $550 per month and you would claim $10,500 ($7200 for twins plus $3300 for 7 and 4 year old) when filing. 

Either way you'll have a significantly larger CTC than the $4000 you received last year, and that combined with your decreased income would make me think you're unlikely to owe taxes absent any other major changes to your finances.

I hope this information is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies