Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saleen118
Returning Member

need advice

me and parents have turbo tax i do their taxes.my question-i had a drunk driver hit me headon at 65mph i have been living on the settlement money so i have no income settlement is tax free.can i still file on turbo tax and claim my 17 year old daughter she is in high school?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

need advice

You can do it, however you need to show if have income to support yourself and your dependent. You could receive refundable part of tax credit for other dependent, however Earned Income tax credit will be disallowed. 

saleen118
Returning Member

need advice

so i can show settlement paperwork on amount of money$?i have turbo tax right now on laptop just not sure if i can file to claim her?my settlement is tax free.should i go ahead and file with turbo tax?i already did my parents taxes on it not sure if i can file non taxable income and claim her she is 17 and in high school

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

need advice

No, nontaxable income will just show zeros on the firm. Doesn't the money itself earn interest?

saleen118
Returning Member

need advice

Settlement paid out in full around 34,000.00 i walked away from head on collision police said i was very lucky.drunk driver died on impack.so on turbo taxe no w2s no unemployment,just put 0s where it says income???

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

need advice

Are you filing for the Stimulus payment?  Yes then just leave the income section blank and work your way to the Recovery Rebate Credit to claim the missed credits for yourself and your daughter.

There is no need to file a tax return if you do not have any taxable income.

Returns can't be e-filed if they:

Many nonresident and part-year state returns cannot be e-filed either, due to circumstances beyond our control (we'll let you know if your non- or part-year resident return must be paper-filed).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies