Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I claim half of my child daycare even if the other parent is claiming her?

To summarize then (based on my understanding of the above discussion) if divorced parents share custody and agree to  take their child as a dependent on alternate years, then only the custodial parent may ever take the  EIC/dependent  care credit on her/his tax return, regardless of which parent claims the child as a dependent/exemption for the tax year.  To further underscore this I found the following statement at the inuit link "Tax Tips for Separated Couples"
<a href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Tax-Tips-for-Separated-Couples/INF22372.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Tax-Tips-for-Separated-Couples/INF22372.html</...>

If you, as custodial parent, agree to let your spouse claim your child as a dependent exemption, you must sign form 8332, Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent. Your noncustodial spouse must attach it to his tax return. Relinquishing this exemption does not affect your ability to file as head of household or take advantage of tax breaks such as the work-related child care expense deduction, as long as you remain the custodial parent.

One remaining question then, assuming the preceding is correct, is this:  if the two divorced parents actually share the day-care expense, then when the custodial parent claims the child care credit is she/he limited to only the portion she/he pays for the share expense?  If this is so then it seems like it's best for the custodial parent to always pay the bulk of the child care expense for the year,  ... unless there's an additional limit based on the earned income of the custodial parent.  Is this basically correct and, if so, is it simple to determine the limit for the custodial parent?
Hal_Al
Level 15

For tax purposes, there is no such thing as joint or shared custody, regardless of what your legal agreement says. The requirement, to be custodial parent, is that the child live with you MORE than 50% of the time. One of you has to be the custodial parent and the other the non-custodial parent.

Yes, your first two paragraphs are correct.

It would be best if the custodial parent paid the bulk of the child care expense for the year. But, there is a recent tax court ruling that seems to say that you can take the deduction even if he was the one that actually paid it under the theory that his paying the expense is just another form of child support and it was your money that paid for it. The maximum amount of child care that can be claimed for one child is $3000 ($6,000 for 2 or more children). But, in order to claim the maximum amount, you must have at least that much earned income (usually not a problem).
wanda_47

Then what is the purpose of claiming nondependent-for EIC/dependent care only?

Can you tell me where I can find this ruling?  

I tried google and the IRS website

My Ex refuses to give me what he pays until I can show him I can take and it would really help

us out if I could claim what he pays also. 

Thanks

@coloradomomof2 wrote:

Can you tell me where I can find this ruling?  

I tried google and the IRS website

My Ex refuses to give me what he pays until I can show him I can take and it would really help

us out if I could claim what he pays also. 

Thanks

Are you referring to child support?

IRS Publication 504, Divorced or Separated Individuals, page 17 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf#page=17

Child support. A payment that is specifically designated as child support or treated as specifically designated as child support under your divorce or separation instrument isn’t alimony. The amount of child support may vary over time. Child support payments aren’t deductible by the payer and aren’t taxable to the payee.

Hal_Al
Level 15

IRS Publication 501, page 13, the section on "Children of divorced or separated parents (or parents who live apart)."

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2018_publink1000220904

@coloradomomof2 

First the max you can use on the form 2441 is $3K ($6K for 2 or more kids) so if you have hit the max by yourself your worries are over.  But if you need more just ask the daycare provider for an annual amount.  

Schagane
Returning Member

§ 1.152-4 "Special rule for a  child of divorced or separated parents or parents who live apart" states that :

"(1) In general. Under section 152(e)(1)... a child is treated as the qualifying child or qualifying relative of the noncustodial parent (as defined in paragraph(d) of this section) if the requirements  of paragraphs (b)(2) and (b)(3) of this section are met. The requirements of this paragraph (b)(2) are met if the parents of the child provide over one-half of the child's support for the calendar year, the child is in the custody of one OR BOTH parents for more than one-half of the calendar year.  As I understand, if a child lived with both parents  in total 183 days or more the requirement "more than one-half of the calendar year" is met even if a child lived with one parent 100 days (who is custodial parent because of greater number of days) and with another parent 84 days (who is non custodial parent). So, if for example the child lived 100 days with Grandmother and 100 days with father and 165 days with mother, the total 100+165 days counts as the child was more than half of the year in the custody of both parents. It also could be possible for the parents to have the child exactly the same number of days if the child lived for example with someone else during the part of the year. So, in case with divorced parents the child does not have to live with just one parent 183 days or more, right? 

Here is relevant example #4

Example 3.

(i) D and E are the divorced parents of Child. Under a custody decree, Grandmother has the right under state law to physical custody of Child from January 1 to July 31, 2009. (ii) Because D and E do not have the right under state law to physical custody of Child for over one-half of the 2009 calendar year, under paragraph (c) of this section, Child is not in the custody of one or both parents for over one-half of the calendar year. Therefore, section 152(e) and this section do not apply, and whether Child is the qualifying child or qualifying relative of D, E, or Grandmother is determined under section 152(c) or (d).

Example 4.

(i) The facts are the same as in Example 3, except that Grandmother has the right to physical custody of Child from January 1 to March 31, 2009, and, as a result, Child resides with Grandmother during this period. D and E jointly have the right to physical custody of Child from April 1 to December 31, 2009. During this period, Child resides with D for 180 nights and with E for 95 nights. D executes a Form 8332 for 2009 releasing D’s right to claim Child as a dependent for that year, which E attaches to E’s 2009 return. (ii) Under paragraph (c) of this section, Child is in the custody of D and E for over one-half of the calendar year, because D and E have the right under state law to physical custody of Child for over one-half of the calendar year. (iii) Under paragraph (d)(3)(ii) of this section, the nights that Child resides with Grandmother are not allocated to either parent. Child resides with D for a greater number of nights than with E during the calendar year and, under paragraph (d)(1) of this section, D is the custodial parent. (iv) Because the requirements of paragraphs (b)(2) and (3) of this section are met, section 152(e) and this section apply, and E may claim Child as a dependent.

I am the custodial parent. My ex is allowed to claim one of two children every other year. 2019 is the first year. When he claims that child am I allowed to claim what I paid for her childcare? Jan-oct 2019 I was paid through child support for a estimated portion of childcare cost. My understanding is there was a deduction in the form 14 for the credit. Then we split costs Oct-Dec 2019. So I am confused to what I am allowed to claim. 

@vsheetspuga wrote:

I am the custodial parent. My ex is allowed to claim one of two children every other year. 2019 is the first year. When he claims that child am I allowed to claim what I paid for her childcare? Jan-oct 2019 I was paid through child support for a estimated portion of childcare cost. My understanding is there was a deduction in the form 14 for the credit. Then we split costs Oct-Dec 2019. So I am confused to what I am allowed to claim. 

ONLY the custodial parent (that physically lived with the child) can claim the child care (and EIC).

Only the parent that lived with the child more than half the year (custodial parent) can claim the child care credit.

Child care is "work related". It can only be claimed if the care was necessary so that you (and your spouse if married) could work. Only if the child lived with you more than half the year *and* the care was required so that you could work is it allowed. If you did not live with the child or work at the time that the care was provided then it was not necessary so that you could work and therefore is not allowed.

See IRS Pub 503.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p503#en_US_2018_publink100048433

Custodial Parent
These are a paraphrase of the IRS rules for divorced or separated parents that live apart.

[Note: Unless the parents have been separated at all times during the last 6 months of the year, these rules do not apply.]

See “Children of divorced or separated parents or parents who live apart” in IRS Pub 501 for full information.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2018_publink1000220904

This assumes that the child is under age 18 (in most states).  Once the child becomes an adult (Emancipated child), custody becomes mute and these rules no longer apply.(See examples 5 & 6 in Pub 501 for more information)

There is no such thing in the Federal tax law as 50/50, split, or joint custody. The IRS only recognizes physical custody (which parent the child lived with the greater part, but over half, of the tax year. That parent is the custodial parent; the other parent is the noncustodial parent.)

Who can claim the exemption and credits depends on who is the custodial parent. (By the IRS definition of custodial parent for tax purposes - this is not the same as the legal custody that a court might grant.).

The test that the IRS uses to determine the custodial parent is where the child lived for more than 1/2 (or greater part) of the year. The IRS will go so far as to require counting the nights spend in each household - that person is the custodial parent for tax purposes (if exactly equal and more than 183 days - The custodial parent is the parent with the highest AGI, if less than 183 days then neither parent has custody so the child cannot be claimed by either parent). And yes they are that picky.

See Custodial parent and noncustodial parent  in Pub 501

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2018_publink1000220906

Only the Custodial parent can claim: (Child would be listed as non-dependent EIC & CC only)
-Head of Household
-The Earned Income Credit
-The Child and Dependent Care Credit
-The Health Coverage Tax Credit

The non custodial parent can only claim: (Child would be listed as dependent)
- The child as a dependent
- The Child Tax Credit or credit for other dependents

But only if specifically specified in a pre-2009 divorce decree, separation agreement or the custodial spouse releases the exemption with a signed 8332 form - after 2009 the IRS only accepts a signed 8332 form that must be attached to the non-custodial parents tax return.

Note. If you are the non-custodial parent filing your return electronically, you must file Form 8332 with Form 8453, (U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal) for an IRS e-file Return. See Form 8453 and its instructions for more details. This must be done within 3 days of your e-filed return being accepted by the IRS.

This does NOT mean that the custodial parent can ignore any Decree or court order allowing the non-custodial parent to claim the exemption - they can be required to issue the 8332 form. They could be required by the court to do so or be in contempt.

-
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Hi @Hal_Al 

It looks like the case link you shared is no longer working and I’ve spent several hours trying to find the case(s) you are referring to where a former spouse paying for daycare was deemed another form of child support and therefore claimable by the spouse receiving the benefit for the dependent care credit. I even culled through the US Tax Court’s online opinion search and couldn’t find it. Could you share a link or point me to an online resource for this?

Thanks in Advance

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Do you qualify for the child care tax credit?  If your only source of income was child support that is not earned income. 

• You must have earned income to qualify for child care tax credit.
  • You must have paid for the care so that you could work or look for work. Being a full-time student or a parent unable to care for themself does count as "working" for the purposes of the credit.

Ref: Publication 503 Publication 503 explains the tests you must meet to claim the credit for child and dependent care expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@LeonardS 

Thank you for your reply. I am familiar with the standard tests for who is able to claim the credit. My question specifically has to do with the situation when one spouse is paying for childcare in lieu of paying child support. Could the former spouse who would otherwise be receiving child support, if they are the custodial parent and meet the working status stipulations, claim the dependent care credit?

The rationale being that if the child support payments went to the custodial parent directly, the custodial parent would in turn then be using those payments for child care, therefore this really should be the custodial parent's credit to claim even if they did not make the child care payments directly.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Child support payments are never deductible and is not considered income," according to IRS Topic No. 452. Furthermore, the IRS directs, "When you calculate your gross income to see if you are required to file a tax return, do not include child support payments received."

Therefore, if the child care payments are considered the support, they should not be included in income nor deductible for the credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@VictoriaD75 

Then who in this scenario is able to claim the dependent care credit?

It sounds like you are saying neither party can claim the daycare payments as part of the dependent care credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies