Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

large IRA deposit

the system reduces my contribution to $7500 -- i thought the limit was much higher

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

large IRA deposit

@OldCarGuy wrote:

i found it -- but it seems the anount she can contribute is a % of her income -- true??

True.  Go to this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-for-self-employed-people

Simplified Employee Pension (SEP)

• Contribute as much as 25% of your net earnings from self-employment (not including contributions for yourself), up to $66,000 for 2023 ($61,000 for 2022, $58,000 for 2021, $57,000 for 2020 and $56,000 for 2019).

View solution in original post

22 Replies

large IRA deposit

Nope. That’s the limit if over age 50. 

dmertz
Level 15

large IRA deposit

Make sure that you are not entering contributions made to an employer plan as personal IRA contributions.  Enter amounts shown in box 12 of your W-2 only in box 12 of TurboTax's W-2 form, nowhere else in TurboTax.

large IRA deposit

this money went into a old SEP IRA -- does that make a differecne ??

dmertz
Level 15

large IRA deposit

Making a personal contribution (not a SEP contribution) to a SEP IRA is permitted by the tax code and is treated on your tax return as any other personal IRA contribution.  However, when making a regular personal contribution to a SEP IRA you must tell the SEP-IRA custodian that it's a regular contribution and not a SEP contribution so that it is reported correctly on Form 5498.  Some SEP-IRA custodians to not allow regular personal contributions to be made to a SEP IRA so that they don't have to deal with the difference in the way contributions to the account would have to be reported.  To avoid any confusion, it's usually best to make the regular personal contributions to a separate ordinary traditional IRA.

large IRA deposit

where is this entry in Turbo Tax ??

dmertz
Level 15

large IRA deposit

SEP contributions from self-employment income are entered in the Business section under Business Deductions and Credits, not not under Deductions & Credits where you would enter a regular personal traditional IRA contribution.

large IRA deposit

the system gives me the same answer -- $7500 max, balance acharged 6% ??

dmertz
Level 15

large IRA deposit

You are entering the contribution as a regular personal contribution which has a $7,500 contribution limit.  If you are trying to enter a SEP contribution made from income from self-employment, you are entering it in the wrong place as I mentioned above.

large IRA deposit

I'm trying not to ask a dumb question BUT : which catagory does this fall under in the busness/dedections-credits

other credits

health

retirement 

other

if tried retirment -- same $7500 cap?

dmertz
Level 15

large IRA deposit

busness/dedections-credits for a SEP contribution.

large IRA deposit

still can't find "SEP IRA" under this tab -- im about ready to give up, it's probably sitting right in front of me!!

large IRA deposit

@OldCarGuy If you are using the TurboTax online web-based editions -
Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen.

Click on Tools.

Click on Topic Search.

Type in self-employed retirement. With the key words highlighted, click on GO.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions -

Click on Search on the upper right of the desktop program screen

Type in self-employed retirement and Enter

Click on Jump to self-employment retirement

large IRA deposit

i found it -- but it seems the anount she can contribute is a % of her income -- true??

dmertz
Level 15

large IRA deposit

The maximum SEP contribution for a self-employed individual is 20% of net earnings.  Net earnings are net profit minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies