Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It's saying my mortgage origination and acquisition dates are wrong, but I am typing what it says on my form. Any ideas?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It's saying my mortgage origination and acquisition dates are wrong, but I am typing what it says on my form. Any ideas?

The mortgage origination date (Box 3) on Form 1098 is the date on which the loan is funded, usually the date you closed on the property and signed the mortgage deed.  It's the date the mortgage originated with the original lender. 

The mortgage acquisition date (Box 11) is the date that the reporting lender acquired the mortgage. 

If the software is giving you an error, try to delete the form and begin again.

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The mortgage origination date (Box 3) on Form 1098 is the date on which the loan is funded, usually the date you closed on the property and signed the mortgage deed.  It's the date the mortgage originated with the original lender. 

The mortgage acquisition date (Box 11) is the date that the reporting lender acquired the mortgage. 

If the software is giving you an error, try to delete the form and begin again.

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

• Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  • In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  • In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  • Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Carl
Level 15

You have other dates wrong on the tax return that pertain to the property the mortgage is for. To help, I would need more details. What is this mortgage for? Initial purchase of a primary residence? 2nd home? Some kind of investment property? Raw land? Maybe it's a refi mortgage?

Mill89
Returning Member

I had this same error and after spending 45 minutes fighting the program and another 15 looking for the number to call, the woman on support suggesting using a 4-digit year. It's been a long time since I've felt so foolish.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies