Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there any Form like the From W-8BEN for foreign company?

Form W-8BEN is for foreign "individuals". But I (Self-employed) had a foreign "company"' which I paid for their help for my project. Is Form W-8BEN-E the one I should use for foreign company? If someone could help me regarding this, your help is much appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@PDNEP   there two kinds of  requirements regarding payments to NRA ( Non-Resident Alien )--- withholding requirement and  Reporting Requirements and generally require the use of  W-8BEN series  and 1042 series of forms.  IRC section 1441 through 1443.   Publication 515 details all these requirements.

In your particular case  --- you need to determine  if the income paid to foreign person is  " US sourced/connected " income .  

Here is a short part of the table  providing guidance  on income sourcing:

Summary of Source Rules for Income of Nonresident Aliens
Item of Income Factor Determining Source

Salaries, wages, other compensation

Where services performed

Business income:
Personal services
Where services performed
Business income:
Sale of inventory -purchased
Where sold

Business income:
Sale of inventory -produced

Where produced (Allocation may be necessary)

As you see from the table  for "services performed " by an NRA  it is the  "where" that rules prime.  Thus the contractor doing the work for you  in a foreign land  is a foreign person ( NRA )  but his/her income is not US sourced / connected for purposes of section 1441/1443. 

for ref see this  -->https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nra-withholding

Therefore my conclusion that you have no reporting nor withholding requirements  for this NRA payments

View solution in original post

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@PDNEP , if the foreign  company worked  on foreign land, even though you paid  from US sources,   all you do is show it as expense on your schedule- C.  The foreign entity  then would   claim this income on their  filings to  local taxing authority .  Us generally does  no and cannot  tax this foreign entity.    This is active income.  Foreign person having passive income form US sources  are indeed taxed  and generally get a 1042-S from the withholding agent and would report to their home country as foreign income and taxed at source ( USA).

Does this help ? 

Thank you very much for your explanation. I understood "Where they will be taxed" clearly.

I learned that I need to ask our foreign contractors to complete this form W-8BEN as a record to prove that they are not U.S. taxpayer. For the reason we are not issuing 1099-MISC for our foreign contractors.

(We usually issue the form 1099-MISC for any payment to contractors when we report it as our business expenses, but we are not issuing 1099-MISC for our foreign contractors because it is not required if they are not U.S. taxpayer. )

or are the forms W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E not for self-employed like me?  Are these forms for the U.S. companies who have contractors in foreign countries?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@PDNEP   there two kinds of  requirements regarding payments to NRA ( Non-Resident Alien )--- withholding requirement and  Reporting Requirements and generally require the use of  W-8BEN series  and 1042 series of forms.  IRC section 1441 through 1443.   Publication 515 details all these requirements.

In your particular case  --- you need to determine  if the income paid to foreign person is  " US sourced/connected " income .  

Here is a short part of the table  providing guidance  on income sourcing:

Summary of Source Rules for Income of Nonresident Aliens
Item of Income Factor Determining Source

Salaries, wages, other compensation

Where services performed

Business income:
Personal services
Where services performed
Business income:
Sale of inventory -purchased
Where sold

Business income:
Sale of inventory -produced

Where produced (Allocation may be necessary)

As you see from the table  for "services performed " by an NRA  it is the  "where" that rules prime.  Thus the contractor doing the work for you  in a foreign land  is a foreign person ( NRA )  but his/her income is not US sourced / connected for purposes of section 1441/1443. 

for ref see this  -->https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nra-withholding

Therefore my conclusion that you have no reporting nor withholding requirements  for this NRA payments

Thank you very much for all the details.

We truly appreciate the information given!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies