Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is it OK to pay my "health care sharing ministry premiums" from my HSA?

No changes yet. 

Is it OK to pay my "health care sharing ministry premiums" from my HSA?

@meloncholy31 wrote:

Hi, since the last post was Dec 2020 can anyone provide an update on whether there are any updates in regards to tax code changes that allow HCSM monthly cost to be included in itemized deductions either this year or next year?

As best I can tell, the expected date for a final determination was September 2021 but no final determination on the rule has actually been made.   Probably they will blame COVID and all the COVID-related tax law changes for slowing down the rule making process (not unreasonable, perhaps).

https://www.regulations.gov/docket/IRS-2020-0016/unified-agenda

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/06/10/2020-12213/certain-medical-care-arrangements

As of now, HSMs are not considered insurance.

The proposed regulation will take effect for the tax year ending after the regulation becomes final.  So if the regulation became final on 12/31/21, it would apply for all of 2021, or if the regulation became final anytime in 2022, it would be effective for all of 2022.

But, it is not final yet.

Also note, the proposed regulation was drafted in response to an executive order by President Trump issued in 2019.  I don't know whether any of the orders issued by President Biden directly contradict this order, but it is possible the IRS (and federal government in general) aren't necessarily excited to push the remaining fragments of the previous president's agenda.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies