Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I were to donate some clothing, would the write-off be deducted from my pre-tax income or taxes owed?

If I were to donate clothing, and got a slip saying that I had donated $500, would this be off your pre-tax income or would it be off the taxes owed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If I were to donate some clothing, would the write-off be deducted from my pre-tax income or taxes owed?

only cash donations can be deducted if you do not itemize.  non-cash donations are part of itemized deductions on Schedule A.  Itemized deductions come off pre-tax income.

to be able to itemize it must exceed your standard deduction unless you are married filing separately in which case both taxpayers must use the same method.

standard deduction 2022

single or married filing separately $12,950

head of household $19,400

married filed jointly or qualifying widow(er) $25,900'

higher amounts if taxpayer/spouse over 65 and/or  blind

it reduces your pre tax income as it is a 'deduction' (assuming you can itemize your deductions)

if it were a 'credit' it would be off your 'taxes owned' (but donations are a deduction and not a credit)

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. If I were to donate clothing, and got a slip saying that I had donated $500, would this be off your pre-tax income or would it be off the taxes owed?

A.  Simple answer: Off your pre-tax income . Actual answer: neither.  

Charitable deductions are an itemized deduction.  Which means you must have enough total itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction before you see any benefit at all. 

Your state may have different rules for this on the state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies