stufordkm

I need to attach clergy worksheets for my schedule C and schedule SE adjustments

Is there a way to attach documents to my electronic return?

PattiF

No, there are only rare cases that you can attach a PDF in the TurboTax Software. If you are able to attach a PDF,  then you will be prompted to attach a PDF, if needed. 

jup

@PattiF 

To clarify - a member of the clergy that is required to fill out and submit the worksheets at the end of Pub 517 can not efile but must paper file? I have always done so (even though turbotax incorrectly always prompts me to efile and doesn't mention anything about the worksheets), but last year the IRS failed to add a new dependent who was correctly listed on my 1040; I'm still waiting for them to fix it. I'd love to efile to avoid further mistakes. Thanks!

@jup 

I presume you are talking about your Deason adjustments to expenses.  TurboTax does not allow for the attachment of PDFs in this case. You can either file without the attachments and keep them with your records in case the IRS asks questions about your expenses, or you can file by mail.  A tax professional may also be able to include attachments in situations where TurboTax can’t. This is not a limitation enforced by TurboTax, it is enforced by the IRS.  The IRS puts constraints on consumer level software that are not imposed on professional software.

jup

@Opus 17 

Thanks so much for your response! It's helpful to know that not allowing additional worksheets is an IRS issue, not turbotax (though it would be nice if turbotax recognized I can't efile, but I know it's probably a pretty rare situation). I did double check, and on page 10 of the 2020 Publication 517, it says I must attach the worksheets since there is tax free housing income and ministerial expenses that need to be adjusted. Bummer :/. Otherwise I would just keep the records and efile. Thanks again for your help!

@jup wrote:

@Opus 17 

While not giving advice, I can make a comment that I know a number of people have e-filed in your situation, retaining the explanation in case asked.  The IRS is just as likely to lose written attachments when sent in on paper as they are to file them properly, and there is no penalty for not including the attachment, other than getting a letter asking for it later.   Or, pay more for a tax professional who may have more freedom to add attachments (but verify this before you pay). 

Cheers. 

AmeliesUncle

@Opus 17 wrote:

This is not a limitation enforced by TurboTax, it is enforced by the IRS.  The IRS puts constraints on consumer level software that are not imposed on professional software.

Do you have any citations for that?  I have seen several comments that other consumer software is capable of attaching some PDF where TurboTax does not (but I don't know the specific details of what exactly the other software allows).

@AmeliesUncle wrote:

@Opus 17 wrote:

No, I'm not going to dig into the XML specifications for the e-file program.   Take it as entirely Turbotax's fault if you prefer.  Maybe they don't want to have to troubleshoot problems caused by customer inputs outside the standard program parameters.  If I was a paid tax preparer myself, I would take the time to find software that would allow this attachment.  But I'm not.

jup

@Opus 17 

Well, that is an idea. Interesting to know others have done it with no problems. I agree that the IRS is likely to not do things correctly with a paper return... :/.

@jup wrote:

@Opus 17 

You may also want to read this, its an excellent resource.

https://www.ecfa.church/TaxBooks/Default.aspx

jup

@Opus 17 

I will look into it - thanks! I've used this page as a great resource in the past:

http://ssfoundation.net/pastors/

@jup wrote:

@Opus 17 

http://ssfoundation.net/pastors/

My church had a denominational membership to ECFA so we had access to resources at free or discount.

Cheers.