turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

manojyxg

I have Sold Stock in India for which I don't have 1099-B form because there its not generated. How can I report foreign CAPITAL gain/loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I have Sold Stock in India for which I don't have 1099-B form because there its not generated. How can I report foreign CAPITAL gain/loss?

You can report your stock sales in India just as if you had received 1099-B forms in the Investment Income > Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other Section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
manojyxg

In online tool I selected the option that I did not receive the 1099B. Since I have more than 4 transaction, I was asked to enter gross purchase cost and sell proceeds for short term and long term. But then tool is asking me to either upload for 1099 or send form 1099 by post which I don't have. What should I do?

manojyxg

In online tool I selected the option that I did not receive the 1099B. Since I have more than 4 transaction, I was asked to enter gross purchase cost and sell proceeds for short term and long term. But then tool is asking me to either upload for 1099 or send form 1099 by post which I don't have. What should I do?

Also as this is foreign gain/loss do I need to fill additional form to report that it is loss/gain on foreign income? How will that happen?

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Make sure that you did not select Enter sales section totals. This is where the software prompts to upload or mail the 1099-B. If you've entered all transactions manually and separately and did select Enter sales one by one, ignore the prompt. You are not required to provide that information to the IRS. 

Also, make sure that you've selected "Basis not reported to the IRS" under the Sales section. 

If you have a foreign financial asset, you might be subject to FBAR filing requirements. As well as Form 8938. Please read more about it here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Right.

The important part is entering the operations one by one. If you enter summary TTax will keep pestering you about the 1099-B.

It seems that the reason is that entering one by one you specify dates so it can be vaildated if they are really long or short.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies