Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 2 dependents and total childcare expenses of $12k, with $4k paid for by FSA. AGI over $43k. Any reason Turbotax gives me $420 instead of $1,200? What am I missing?

My understanding is I should be getting 20% of $6,000 as I still have $8k eligible expenses after the FSA comes off the top. One dependent was born in the year and has no expenses if that makes any difference. Are there any other factors I have not considered?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RalphH1
Expert Alumni

I have 2 dependents and total childcare expenses of $12k, with $4k paid for by FSA. AGI over $43k. Any reason Turbotax gives me $420 instead of $1,200? What am I missing?

Unfortunately, the government only gives you tax benefits on $6,000 of dependent care expenses (with two kids). And these benefits include not only the credit, but also your wages which have already been excluded from tax because of the FSA.

Since $4,000 has been excluded, that leaves $2,000 for the credit. That’s multiplied by 21% in this case (this is the percentage for an AGI equal to or slightly lower than $43k—which is the only thing I’m curious about here, but it only accounts for an extra $20). And the result is the $420 credit amount you’re seeing. (Here’s the IRS telling us about this in Publication 503, and you can see the calculation itself on page 2 of Form 2441, which will be printing out with your return.)

If your marginal tax bracket is higher than the 21% rate of the credit, then maximizing the FSA was a good thing. But if your bracket was lower, that means that less (or no) FSA contributions would have been better overall. Admittedly,  that’s an oversimplification, since reducing your “Adjusted Gross Income” with the FSA could also be increasing other tax benefits on the return (which wouldn’t happen by maximizing the credit). And the difference may ultimately not be great enough to justify spending much time on this. But if you’re someone who’s on the lookout for any and all possible tax-savings ideas, this could be one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RalphH1
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, the government only gives you tax benefits on $6,000 of dependent care expenses (with two kids). And these benefits include not only the credit, but also your wages which have already been excluded from tax because of the FSA.

Since $4,000 has been excluded, that leaves $2,000 for the credit. That’s multiplied by 21% in this case (this is the percentage for an AGI equal to or slightly lower than $43k—which is the only thing I’m curious about here, but it only accounts for an extra $20). And the result is the $420 credit amount you’re seeing. (Here’s the IRS telling us about this in Publication 503, and you can see the calculation itself on page 2 of Form 2441, which will be printing out with your return.)

If your marginal tax bracket is higher than the 21% rate of the credit, then maximizing the FSA was a good thing. But if your bracket was lower, that means that less (or no) FSA contributions would have been better overall. Admittedly,  that’s an oversimplification, since reducing your “Adjusted Gross Income” with the FSA could also be increasing other tax benefits on the return (which wouldn’t happen by maximizing the credit). And the difference may ultimately not be great enough to justify spending much time on this. But if you’re someone who’s on the lookout for any and all possible tax-savings ideas, this could be one.

Thanks for the very insightful response (it completely makes sense now!) Just a follow question - is there any guidance on whether prepaid childcare expenses can be included in the ‘amount paid for 2022’? In addition to the $12k noted above, I also paid approx $5k in 2021 that relates to 2022 care - should this be included or excluded given that I physically paid in 2021? Thanks!

MayaD
Expert Alumni

The prepaid amount is deductible in the year the child care is received. In your situation, prepaid amount that relates to 2022 are considered 2022 expenses. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies