turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kraziqaz

I am a new foster mom and am able to claim our youngest as a dependent. I wanted to know what other expenses I can claim? Square footage? Expenses to get our license?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

I am a new foster mom and am able to claim our youngest as a dependent. I wanted to know what other expenses I can claim? Square footage? Expenses to get our license?

There are no deductible expenses for foster parenting. If you receive foster care payments form a child placement agency, the state government, or your local government, the payments are nontaxable income, however. 

If you are not able to claim the child as a dependent, you may be able to claim charitable contributions for your non-reimbursable expenses. You must keep track of all your payments and expenses (food, clothing, and care for the child). If you paid more in expenses than you received in board and care payments, you can claim the expenses that exceed the amount you received, but only if you have no profit motive for providing care. A foster parent who is planning on adopting a child is not eligible to claim these expenses. This deduction is also only available if the agency or organization who placed the child with you can receive charitable donations.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies