turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a member of an LLC, where do I list the composite taxes paid to 48 states on my behalf on my 1040?

It appears I can only list taxes paid to three states in Turbotax?  How do I list each states tax paid separately on my behalf from the composite return that was filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a member of an LLC, where do I list the composite taxes paid to 48 states on my behalf on my 1040?

a composite return means that the LLC paid your state taxes for you and you do not need to file in those states.  the deduction is part of the state income tax deduction on schedule A.   schedule a tax deduction (all deductible taxes)  is limited to $10,000 unless married filing separately where its $5,000

you can enter the total for all the states as a single amount.  

Thanks, so I would add composite state taxes they paid on my behalf together along with my w2 state tax withholdings on schedule A line 5a.  

Regarding my state tax in my resident state. Don't I get credit for income and tax paid in other states to reduce my tax owed in my resident state? It looks like my full adjusted income from the LLC flowed to my state tax return.

Appreciate the assistance 

I have this same question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

depending on your resident state,  if the LLC paid your state income taxes for that state then either you get credit for those taxes or you don't report your share of the income.    however, in most states where a  composite return is filed, it can cover only non-residents.        in addition for your resident return you may be able to claim a credit foor the taxes paid on your behalf to nonresident states.  this will depend in part on what type of proof your state requires.  

Are you SURE the partnership filed 48 state returns and paid state taxes for you in all 48 states ( there is not even 48 state that have an income tax) ?   Are you reading the K-1 correctly ?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies