Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hbendea

I add income under "Former Earned Income and Exclusion" but "Foreign Tax Credit" doesn't work. It say "You’ll need to finish adding your foreign tax payments". advice?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I add income under "Former Earned Income and Exclusion" but "Foreign Tax Credit" doesn't work. It say "You’ll need to finish adding your foreign tax payments". advice?

@hbendea , just to be sure that I understand your situation--

(a) you a US citizen/Resident( GreenCard)  moved  abroad and work there for a foreign entity

(b) you have lived there  long enough to qualify for the physical presence test ( 330 days of presence  in foreign land in a test period of 12 months ) and therefore your tax home is foreign and that your  foreign earned income is eligible for exclusion

(c) you have  foreign earned income above the allowable  exclusion  and which has been taxed by the local tax  administration and therefore you need foreign tax credit.

Now explain to me what is not working -- where do you need help.  Please answer 

DHP
Level 1

I am encountering the same issue. I am a U.S. citizen who lives and works as a resident in another country, but have rental income in the states. My wage income is taxed by the foreign country and I pay foreign taxes directly to them. I enter all my information on the "Wages & Income" screen that I can, but at no time does it ask me how much I paid in foreign taxes as I would have expected in the "Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion" section. I then go to the "Deductions & Credit" screen and follow the standard tutorial for "Foreign Tax Credit" but get stuck at the same error in the subject line after checking "Yes, I paid foreign taxes this year." It wants me to go back and finish entering in my foreign taxes paid. The question is: Where? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DHP
Level 1

Two more things, I have been a bona fide resident for several years, annotating as much in the system, and my income now exceeds the benefits of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. As such,  a Foreign Tax Credit would suit me better.

Do you have any 1099's or K-1's and if so, do they indicate any foreign source income?

DHP
Level 1

I do not have any 1099's or K-1's. For my primary wage I am provided a German Lohnsteurerbescheinigung and no U.S. W-2. I use the Lohnsteurerbescheinigung to file my taxes. My income and taxes are listed in Euro.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

When you enter your German wages in TurboTax Foreign Earned Income Exclusion section of TurboTax, you need to: 

1. Enter foreign earned income in the search bar at the top of the screen and click the Jump to link  

2. On the first screen it will ask you what form your foreign income was reported on, you need to check statement from my foreign employer (converted to USD)  

3. On the next screen enter your Foreign wages  

4. Continue through the screens answering the questions until the end 

If you have foreign taxes, you can input them in the foreign tax credit section. 

1. Type in foreign tax credit in the search bar at the top of the screen and click Jump to  

2. You will need to click through a number of screens about dividends and interest.    

3. When you get to the screen, Choose the Income Type, click on General Limitation income.  This is the category for wages.  

4. Continue through all the rest of the screens entering your Country  and continue through screens 

5. You need to enter the foreign tax amount on the screen FOREIGN TAXES PAID - COUNTRY X in the box *Foreign Taxes on Other Income*

6. If you are  claiming the exclusion, make sure that you enter on the Reduction for Foreign Taxes screen, your amount of foreign earned income from line 45 Form 2555 and total foreign income from line 27 of Form 2555 in the appropriate fields.

7. Continue through all the screens until done.

Please note that if you have been using the exclusion and decide this year to only use foreign tax credit, the IRS considers you to have revoked your choice to use the exclusion for the next 5 years.  German tax I am sure is higher than US tax so foreign tax alone might be a better answer, however, if you think you might be transferred to a low tax country for work, then you would not want to revoke the exclusion.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies