Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JMCPA
Returning Member

How long do I have to repay my H.S.A. if I accidently used H.S.A. funds for non medical expenses in 2022?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

How long do I have to repay my H.S.A. if I accidently used H.S.A. funds for non medical expenses in 2022?

Contact your plan administrator to report the error, find out the procedure for a repayment to your HSA account, and request a corrected 1099-SA form. 

If you received a distribution during the year from your HSA due to a mistake (reasonable cause), you may repay the mistaken distribution no later than April 15 of the following year you knew or should have known the distribution was a mistake.

• Under these circumstances, the distribution is not included in gross income, is not subject to the 20% additional tax, and the repayment is not subject to the excise tax on excess contributions. 
  • The repayment will not be reported as a contribution on Form 5498-SA.

You'll get Form 1099-SA if you paid for medical or other expenses from your HSA or MSA during the tax year.

Here's how to add it in TurboTax:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax
  2. Select Search and enter 1099-SA
  3. Select Jump to 1099-sa
  4. Answer the questions and continue through the screens

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JMCPA
Returning Member

Thank you! Super helpful. Problem now is my H.S.A. custodian refuses to send me a corrected 1099-SA. Do you just file the corrected number on my 22 return and send a letter when the IRS rejects the return? My H.S.A. Custodian said it will include the corrected FY22 amount in my FY23 1099-SA. Will the IRS just be patient for a year then?

@JMCPA wrote:

Thank you! Super helpful. Problem now is my H.S.A. custodian refuses to send me a corrected 1099-SA. Do you just file the corrected number on my 22 return and send a letter when the IRS rejects the return? My H.S.A. Custodian said it will include the corrected FY22 amount in my FY23 1099-SA. Will the IRS just be patient for a year then?

The custodian is correct, and the IRS will eventually catch up.

JMCPA
Returning Member

So will my return be rejected automatically because of the 1099-SA mismatch? I'll have to send a letter explaining the situation. Then the IRS will get back to me after I file my 2023 1040 and say, you're good on 2022?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Most likely the IRS will not reject your return.  Once they do a match on your return, they will most likely reach out to you inquiring about the mismatch.  You can address the issues with the IRS at that time.

I hope this helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

"How long do I have to repay my H.S.A. if I accidently used H.S.A. funds for non medical expenses in 2022?"

The proper answer depends on the nature of the distribution.  If you reasonably thought that the distribution was being used for a qualified medical expense, then HelenC12's answer applies.

However, if the mistake was just that you did something like use your HSA debit card to pay for something you knew was not a qualified medical expense, the money would have to be put back into the HSA by rollover where you have only 60 days co complete the rollover (and is permitted to be done only if you had done no other rollover within the 1-year period ending on the date of the distribution).  If you did not roll over such a distribution by the 60-day deadline, the distribution is not permitted to be put back into the HSA and to make the distribution nontaxable you would have to be able to apply it to a qualified medical expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies