Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I deduct my mileage, phone bill and parking fees for my job? My job says I can get $0.23 back on mileage.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I deduct my mileage, phone bill and parking fees for my job? My job says I can get $0.23 back on mileage.

if you are a W-2 employee, no un-reimbursed business expenses can be deducted.  That is new effective 2018.

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Under the current tax law, there is not a deduction for Employee Business Expenses for your Federal tax return unless you are an Armed Forces reservists, qualified performing artists, fee-basis state or local government officials, and employees with impairment-related work expenses.

If your employer does not reimburse you for these expenses you cannot claim them.  The new tax law has increased the Standard deduction to almost double to cover these expenses.

You may still want to fill out the section in the Federal under Deductions and Credits for your Employee Business Expenses as some states allow you to deduct these expenses.

More information about Employee Business Expenses

Look specifically at Page 2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies