Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HOH vs Child Tax credit

Generally, between coparents who alternate child related tax aspects, does Head of Household filing status or one Child’s Tax Credit usually provide to be more benicial/lead to a larger tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

HOH vs Child Tax credit

If you live together unmarried with the other parent, you can't split the tax benefits of the child.  One parent claims all the tax benefits and the other parent should not even list the child on their tax return.  The special rules for children of divorced or separated parents who share custody do not apply, and you should answer "no" to the question, is there a custody agreement, in the dependent interview.  

In this case, the only way to know how to file to maximize your refund is to test it both ways.  Usually, if the higher earning parent claims HOH and the child tax credit, this works out best, but not always.

If you live apart and share custody under a court order, then the only parent who can use the child to qualify for HOH is the parent where the child live more than half the nights of the year.  The custodial parent can release the dependent claim to the non-custodial parent with form 8332, but the ability to use the child to qualify for HOH can't be released or transferred.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

HOH vs Child Tax credit

Are you the custodial parent?  Do you have an agreement with the other parent to allow the other parent to claim them--due to divorce or that you live apart and share custody?  Did one of you sign a Form 8332?

If there is a signed 8332 then the custodial parent retains the right to file as Head of Household, get earned income credit and the childcare credit.  The non-custodial parent gets the child tax credit for children under the age of 17.

As far as the IRS is concerned, the custodial parent is the one with whom the child spent the most nights during the tax year--at least 183 nights.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

HOH vs Child Tax credit

If you live together unmarried with the other parent, you can't split the tax benefits of the child.  One parent claims all the tax benefits and the other parent should not even list the child on their tax return.  The special rules for children of divorced or separated parents who share custody do not apply, and you should answer "no" to the question, is there a custody agreement, in the dependent interview.  

In this case, the only way to know how to file to maximize your refund is to test it both ways.  Usually, if the higher earning parent claims HOH and the child tax credit, this works out best, but not always.

If you live apart and share custody under a court order, then the only parent who can use the child to qualify for HOH is the parent where the child live more than half the nights of the year.  The custodial parent can release the dependent claim to the non-custodial parent with form 8332, but the ability to use the child to qualify for HOH can't be released or transferred.

HOH vs Child Tax credit

I understand all of this. My coparent and I are trying to decide how to have our custody order. Alternating years seems like a fairly standard way but I’m just trying to understand the benefits of each and if one generally allows a parent a larger tax return?

HOH vs Child Tax credit

@jjnoel12 wrote:

I understand all of this. My coparent and I are trying to decide how to have our custody order. Alternating years seems like a fairly standard way but I’m just trying to understand the benefits of each and if one generally allows a parent a larger tax return?

OK, so you are divorced or divorcing or separating, and negotiating an agreement?

The rules on what and how to claim a dependent in that case are here, you should try and read them.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

We start with the basic fact that the parent with custody more than half the nights of the year is the only parent who can claim head of household, earned income credit (if they are low income) and the childcare credit.  The only thing that can be transferred to the non-custodial parent is the child tax credit.  

So one thing to consider is, will you actually arrange physical custody so the child lives in one home for 183 or more days in one year, and 183 or more days in the other home the next year, or will the child pretty much be living the same number of days, and the only thing to alternate is claiming the dependent.  If the child will be living with the same parent for at least 183 nights each year, then the only thing that changes with alternating the dependent claim is the child tax credit.

For 2021, the child tax credit is $3600 up to age 6 and $3000 up to age 17, and does not depend on income.  If that credit expires, it will go back to the previous credit which was $2000 up to age 16, and required at least some income earned from working to be able to claim.  I'm sure the Democrats in Congress will try to make the new larger credit permanent, but for now it is temporary.  

In 2026, the Trump tax reform will expire, unless Congress extends it.  That would mean that in addition to the $2000 (or $3000) child tax credit, the parent who claims the child as a dependent will get a dependent exemption.  This will exempt about $5000 of their income from taxation, which translates to a $800-$1600 of additional tax savings depending on their income. 

So essentially, the parent where the child lives more than half the year will give up $2000-$4600 of their tax refund if they agree to allow the other parent to claim the child as a dependent, and the other parent will gain about that much.  The exact amount will depend on what Congress does over the next 6 years, and could change even more if Congress does even more unexpected things.  

It's also important to know that even if the custody order says that the custodial parent must give the non-custodial parent a signed form 8332 in alternating years, if the custodial parent refuses because they are in a bad mood, the IRS will not enforce the court order.  The non-custodial parent who is being "deprived" of a tax benefit, will have to go back to the family court judge to try and enforce the order, as the IRS won't get involved in the dispute.

I am not an attorney, but it seems to me that if the "transferrable" tax benefit of claiming a child as a dependent is worth on average $3000 per year, it would be more sensible for the non-custodial parent to pay less child support in alternating years and leave the tax returns alone, let the custodial parent always claim the child, and adjust the child support payments instead.  That way, the custodial parent can't "deprive" the non-custodial parent of the dependent claim by refusing to sign form 8332.  Or generally reduce child support by $1500 every year.  Just a thought. 

HOH vs Child Tax credit

In my analysis I am not considering the effect of being able to file as head of household.  Although that does save the custodial parent some additional tax, it can't be transferred by agreement.  Also, it's the situation most likely to change, if either partner should get married, or have another child with someone else, they may get a lower tax rate as HOH or MFS with child #2, no matter what happens with child #1. 

So in my analysis I only consider the effects of those tax benefits which are transferrable by custody order. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies