Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, as resident alien for texes since october 23, I could not add my 1042-S form code 19 in my return. should I mail it directly to IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Hello, as resident alien for texes since october 23, I could not add my 1042-S form code 19 in my return. should I mail it directly to IRS?

Because the 1042S is a Non-Resident Alien form, the form itself is not supported.  It is entered as Other Reportable income if this was income received while you were a RESIDENT ALIEN.  This means, code 19 is not really relevant since as a resident alien you are subject to taxation the same as a US Citizen, so you do not need to mail it directly to the IRS for any sort of special tax treatment.

If this was for income received prior to becoming a resident alien, then you may need to report it on your 1040NR if you are filing as a Dual Status Alien for the year.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@cecilia08901 , I don't know if you still need help on this.  I agree with my colleague @Vanessa A  that 1042-S needs to be recognized and generally  with an eye to when your residency began.

What we need is to understand how you became a resident for tax purposes .  I ask this because   your residency  is generally determined  by passing  SPT ( Substantial Presence Test ).  Once you pass the SPT, you are resident for the calendar year. While the end of the year ( 12/31/XXXX) is fixed ,  the start of the year depends on your first day of presence in the country taking into account your visa status.   See this :

Residency starting and ending dates | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Does this help ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies