Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jloveri
Returning Member

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Form 8834 Electric Vehicle Credit for 2019 tax filing

I have been following the posts for about a month... I need form 8936 as I have a plug-in Hybrid... but I keep updating the Turbotax software and still come up with "The energy-efficient vehicles section isn't ready yet" and there are none of the forms related to this topic available.  

Version of the program:  wrapper: 019.000.0127  WinPerReleaseEngine: 019.000.0408    WinPerFedFormset: 019.000.0115   WinPerTaxSupport: 019.000.0115

Very frustrated at this problem as Turbotax is not inexpensive and one would hope that glitches like this would be either non-existent or at a minimum, rapidly solved.  Thank you for your response on this.  This deduction is the only thing holding up the filing of my return.  

@jloveri Verify that your software is at the latest release.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to verify - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/verify-turbotax-for-windows-basic-deluxe-premier-or-...

If at the latest release and you are still seeing Form 8936 as not yet available, then get a manual update.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for a manual update - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

Delete the Form 8936 and re-enter.

leericee
Returning Member

I'm using a desktop turbotax home and Biz 2019. The energy efficient vehicle section is still not ready yet. Is anyone still experiencing the same issue? Please help if you are seeing the section available. Thanks

@leericee wrote:

I'm using a desktop turbotax home and Biz 2019. The energy efficient vehicle section is still not ready yet. Is anyone still experiencing the same issue? Please help if you are seeing the section available. Thanks

If you are using a Windows based PC, try a manual update - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

leericee
Returning Member

Thank you! My software always says I'm up to date but the section keep saying it isn't ready.

I have tried the manual updater and put on my desktop, but when i double click, it's saying my turbotax is not installed. Please install first and re-run. Any idea what could be causing that?

Thanks!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Was your software closed when you selected w_perrelsuperpatch

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
leericee
Returning Member

Thank you, yes, my software was open when I click the installer, I also tried with the software close.

Any idea if going through this ev credit rigamarole this year delayed our federal returns? Typically they are received within a week if acceptance but I’m now going on 6 business days with nothing.  

leericee
Returning Member

My software still says the energy efficient vehicle section is not ready yet. Anyone has that section working already? and how were you able to get the section working? Could you please give some instruction?

Thank you!

@leericee wrote:

My software still says the energy efficient vehicle section is not ready yet. Anyone has that section working already? and how were you able to get the section working? Could you please give some instruction?

Thank you!

Update your software since the Energy Efficient Form 8936 is available.  Click on Online at the top of the program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

Verify that you are at the latest release, see this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/verify-turbotax-for-windows-basic-deluxe-premier-or-...

For an energy-efficient vehicle tax credit

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Cars and Other Things You Own
  • On Energy-Efficient Vehicles, click the start or update button
  • On Energy-Efficient Vehicle Charging Station, click the start or update button

Or enter energy efficient vehicle in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to energy efficient vehicle

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies